Jumpy Speedo / Fuel Gauge - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Jumpy Speedo / Fuel Gauge

Hey everyone;
75 Monte Carlo. While driving, the speedo and fuel gauge move pretty erratically. Fuel can be at a half tank, and go from full to empty. Speedo just bounces alot, especially under acceleration. Was this common or is there something wrong and/or a fix for it? Trans is auto (if that matters)

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

The speedo is likely a dry cable in need of replacement by now,cables are pretty inexpensive.
The fuel gauge is a little different. I am not sure what is used to "dampen "the movement of the fuel gauge but whatever they use it aint working now. My old 64 had a dab of light grease where the armature is suspended so as to slow the gauge needle movement or "dampen" the action.
It keeps the gauge from reacting instantly to any abrupt change in the fuel level arm (like sloshing back and forth) so as to maintain a nice steady indication.Like a shock absorber for a gauge.
Some gauges have a felt "brake" on the armature to dampen the movement.Not sure what you have. I dont work on too many clusters of that vintage anymore and didnt work on them much back then either.You might do a google search on gauges to see what you can find.
You may need to lube the speedo head bushing as well, use a spray grease to get some in the bushing and make sure the spinning pieces are clean of dirt and fuzz...whatnot as this can also cause a radical speedo. Most likely the cable is bad or going bad.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

Thank you for the repsonse. I'll first check the speedo cable to make sure it's in there good. If it is, I'll probably just replace then. For the bushings, are you talking in the gauge itself or at the trans/cable?

And again for teh fuel gauge, I'll do some research on it, but this grease or felt... is this in the tank or at the gauge?

Sorry for the dumb questions, so used to sensors these days. And thanks again!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

the grease or felt is on the actual needle of the gauge itself.It slows the needle down so it doesnt swing violently when the fuel in the tank sloshes.
The bushing for the speed is in the back of the speedo. It surrounds or holds the spinner piece that the cable fits into. Chances are you just need a new cable. I would start there with the speedo.
Be sure that you dont put any tight bends or kinks in the cable when you install the new one as it can cause the speedo to be jumpy, and fail prematurely.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
the grease or felt is on the actual needle of the gauge itself.It slows the needle down so it doesnt swing violently when the fuel in the tank sloshes.
The bushing for the speed is in the back of the speedo. It surrounds or holds the spinner piece that the cable fits into. Chances are you just need a new cable. I would start there with the speedo.
Be sure that you dont put any tight bends or kinks in the cable when you install the new one as it can cause the speedo to be jumpy, and fail prematurely.
Sounds good. I'll check into this. Looks like I need to drop my trans so I'll do the cable when i do that and then look into the gauges. Thanks very much.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.