Junk Yard Disc Brake Conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 10:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Junk Yard Disc Brake Conversion

I have a 1961 Buick Invicta that has drum brakes all around. I have not been happy with them even after rebuilding them. The front drums are shot and cannot be turned down anymore. These aluminum front drums are very hard to get now plus very expensive.

I would like to convert over to disk brakes all the way around. Are there any types of vehicles that would be compatible that I could find at the junk yard that I could restore and use? Are there any pickup truck models that would have a brake system that I could retrofit? I figure I would have to use a disk brake master cyliner for the extra volume. Would I need to increase the brake line diameters as well?

I know there are companies that have conversion kits for around $1800.00 to $2000.00. That?s a little pricey for me if there are other options.

I would appreciate any advice anyone had to offer. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I am in much the same boat with my 62 Pontiac................although, I do know that it has the same suspension as a Chevy Impala.......I wonder if your Buick is the same.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:42 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Ponho
The discs off a 84-87 vette are almost a bolt in for your car. If you are a member of POCI, they had a article in Smoke Signals about three years ago on the conversion.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

On the Olds, 72 Caddy Rotors will bolt on. you will need a spacer behind the inside bearing, use an axle bearing retainer ring for an 8" Ford axle bearing. It's the right thickness, right OD for the Caddy seal, and you can hone the ID to fit with a brake hone. use the 72 Caddy caliper too. There are some other years that interchange.

On the Pontiac, 78 to 85 GM full size rotor bolts on no changes. Make sure you have the 12" rotor with the 5" bolt pattern. Use the same model calipers

In both cases you will have to fabricate a caliper bracket. Find a 73 to 87 GM pickup or Blazer, 4x4, and get the front axle backing plates from it. You can modify the backing plates to mount to the spindle. Cut and reshape them to fit. Basically you want the part the caliper mounts too, the rest can be fabricated from plate. Brake hoses from the 72 Caddy will fit.

For wheels, GM two wheel drive pickup wheels will clear the brakes, and take stock hub caps if you like. Most aftermarket wheels will fit.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:05 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

http://www.scarebird.com/6928.html

His brackets might be worth a look. He lists a lot of older cars like that for conversion brackets.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgo

His brackets might be worth a look. He lists a lot of older cars like that for conversion brackets.

I have emailed them to get more info...stay tuned.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:57 AM

Last photo:

Will this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick...25291859QQrdZ1

Contact him if it won't work, he may be able to do something for you.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Junk Yard Disc Brake Conversion

It would seem back in 1961 that the GM brands such as Chevy, Buick and possibly others all went in their own directions. I have not found anything common between my 61 Invicta and Chevy. My Invicta now has a Chevy 350 with the 350 Turbo Automatic transplanted in her. Let me tell you, that is one conversion I don't want to attempt again. We are talking steering linkage, engine cradel, motor mounts, transmission linkage, drive shaft length and other modifications to get a 350 to replace a 401 Nail Head.

With regard to my brake question, I don't know if I can use my existing spindles and fabricate a caliper bracket to fit, then use rotors, calipers and a master cyliner from a later model pickup truck? Does anyone have experience doing this with a Buick? Are there any drawings or patters for a caliper bracket so I can fabricate my own?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

I ordered a pair of brackets from Scarebird http://www.scarebird.com/6928.html .My Pontiac is a Canadian model which used the Chevy "X" frame and drivetrain, so I ordered for an Impala. It was $95 + $25 for shipping to Canada. It uses 78 Monte Carlo (or similar) rotors and S10 4x4 calipers...They recommend a Monte Carlo M/C also. .

The only concern I have is that the Monte Carlo rotors won't be big enough for a 4000# car, but they have to be better than those stinkin' old drums.

A pleasant surprise this morning when I checked the shipping through Paypal, they had refunded me $10 as he said the shipping was cheaper than he thought......Very cool on his part.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:41 PM

rfowler,last winter I converted my 57 Buick Special to front discs.There is a guy in Nevada that was advertising bracket kits and a list of the junkyard parts you need. He had an ad in Hemmings in the Buick section.You get his brackets,which you fit,then weld together, and bolt to your spindles where the old drum backing plates were fitted.These accept G.M. calipers and 80's pickup front rotors fit with off the shelf bearings and seal.I also put a new booster and master cylinder on as well.Stops a whole lot better now, but could still be better.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Junk Yard Disc Bake Conversion

Jcarter, Does this guy in Nevada have a website? I will check the library for a Hemmings book. If I had a pattern or drawing, I could probably fabricate my own brackets. Do you have a ball park on what it cost you to convert your Buick? Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

Brackets.........1961-64 Buick Riviera, Wildcat Invicta $95

Old 01-21-2006, 10:19 PM

The guy doesn't have a website that I 've seen.His name is Mike Pemberton.Would have to hunt for his phone #.Braket price was reasonable, and I used NAPA parts for the rest.If you can get the brakets Poncho seen, your set.57's are harder to get stuff for.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:52 PM

Last journal entry: Wallet Nerve Ouchness

brakes disk 4 wheel conversion

Try www.dfbrakes.com this guy has a complete 4 wheel disk brake conversion with mastercylinder, booster and all lines with nothing else to buy for around $950 bucks it would cost around that much to find all the parts in a junkyard. Again this is a 4 wheel set up not 2.
Mitchell
Old 02-17-2006, 01:04 PM

Last photo:

There's a place local here... Outside of Phoenix, AZ called Pontiac Heaven... he pretty much got nothing but old pontiacs...over 500 of them. His website is
www.pontiacheaven.com
He may have what you're looking for, or be able to help you out with info...

Ron

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.