Junker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Junker

I once had a 1969 Chevy c-10.Biggest POS I have ever had.Two tones of primer when I bought it.The entire thing was a mix of the red and grey primer.It had 6 lug Chrome flaking wagon wheels.A 283 with the 3 speed coloumn shift.The brakes were all drum and worked sometimes.I bought it when I was 17. The linkage would bind up underneath of the firewall where it linked at to go to the trans.It seemed to be more of a problem when it rained,that way I had to get down on the ground,reach under it and wiggle it,to free it up.Get down the road and do it again,if I had stop lights on the street I was traveling. The wipers died one day and I pulled into a parts house that has since closed down.The switch was bad and they did not have one.Found two alligator clips and got the wires from the motor,attach on with a clip to the - side of the battery and one to the + side of the batt. Endede up having to do the same with the headlights a few weeks later.So I was screwed if it was night AND raining.Do not know what the blower worked like since I unloaded the truck before winter.Why did I not fix it right when I had it ? 17 years old,living at home $4.00 an hour,paying rent,insurance,gas.That did it for me.Could not afford to.Top that for a heap of trash!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I had a ford festiva that puked out about a quart of oil ever 100 miles. Stripped down. No power steering (motor probably wouldn't turn the pump: 1.3 liter!). Every inch of the exhaust was replaced with tach welds, cheap pipes and sealer. Sounded like a perpetual fart. Tires were 13 dollars each, so you can immagine how they rode.

I had a ford tempo too. Man that was a pile. Belt tensioner broke and you have to take out the motor mount to get to it. Water pump detonated in traffic. It shifted... most of the time. The rest of the time it sat in first until you wiggled the linkage. Leaked oil (don't all fords?). Overheated... even in the rain (but just when it felt like it... even after a new thermostat). Electric fan worked... sometimes. Exhaust manifold cracked in two.

And these are cars taht were maybe 8-12 years old that had been taken care of!!!

K
Old 01-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You know what................I have never had a real lemon. My 1st car had the binding linkage problem, but that was due to a 16 year old trying to power shift a "Spark-o-matic" shifter.

I can honestly say that all my cars had some good virtures......................Oh, wait...there was that 86 Hyundia Steller...............POS.

Budget RVs
Old 01-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

I have never had a junker really. The only unreliable car I've ever had would be my S10. But with High Performance you can expect that I guess.

But I won't call it a junker, its near by she might hear.

Not to mention the Chevy Gods would frown on that

bonuts
Old 01-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

I forgot to add to it.Tried like hell to blow that 283.No reason in particular.Just wanted to blow the thing up.Me and my girlfriend(wife now) had just left a wave pool in Indiana.We were on 65-South and it started to go,got odff the Interstate in the Old Louisville district.Old Victorian homes all over 100+ years old.So I got it in The Dizzy Wizz parking lot(old burger joint) went to the pay-phone(remember those?) and called home.When we got back to the truck was a baglady sitting on my tailgate with her duffel bag on the gate beside her.I asked her what she thought she was doing.She went on to inform me I was in the "rough" end of town and she was "protecting" my truck.I worked in this area and it was by far rough.UofL is in around the corner and the college kids take care of the area.I told her to move on and she tried to say I should give her money for protecting my blown up truck. I had to threaten her with physical harm to get her to leave.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:56 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

My biggest POS was my 67 F100, this pickup was the poster child for rust buckets. This thing was flogged to death before I bought it. The motor was a 300 inline six that had a zillion miles on it, probably more like 200,000 and was very tired. If I pulled up to a full sevice gas station I would say check the gas and fill the oil. Every time I would drive on slushy roads, slush would come flying up through the floor boards and hit me in the face. I fixed that problem by putting in cardboard floorpans. The place where the radio was at looked like somebody pulled it out with a jackhammer and a winch, what a nasty little hole it was. Then almost every wire must have been cut and spliced and wrapped with either duct tape or makinging tape. It was like a money pit from hell, if I fixed one thing, something else would go wrong. I just got to the point where I didn't care about it, hence the cardboard floorboards. If I had not hit another pickup with it in a accident, I would have taken to my grandparents ranch and used it for target practice. Then it would have mysteriously caught on fire and burned to the ground. I tell you I really hated that POS and that is exactly what it was.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Top that for a heap of trash!!!
Vega wagon
Old 01-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

First car...a '53 Henry J, with a four cylinder Jeep flat head engine.

The 1-2 synchro was gone so you ground your way into second. The brake lights never did work, and I only had one taillight. Removed the thermostat and loosened the radiator cap to prevent more leaks. I used a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator when winter came. The starter solenoid was going, so I had to keep clicking it until it decided to catch. The headlight switch broke, so I let it hang under the dash. When it got dark, I pulled the knob out and jimmied around with the wiring until the headlights came...but if you hit a bump they went back off.

The kicker was the day the clutch fork pivot ball went through the fork and I couldn't release the clutch. When I had to stop, my buddy jumped out and pushed while I cranked the starter and got it going again. People must have been laughing their behinds off.

Loved that car!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.