Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Junkyard Dog
Thread: Junkyard Dog
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

The answer is clear to me. Take the 327 small journal block and set the small journal 283 steel crank in it with the small journal rods. Do the calculations I am too lazy to do and get the correct pistons for deck height. Voila.....a small journal 302(I think...if memory serves). Or you could go down to the junk yard and get a set of I-6 ford rods and stuff in it with some bearing inserts and a set of custom pistons. I think they are in the 6.125 range. BTW, I saw this done on a SBC in HRM a while back. Using the 4 inch bore, you might even find off the shelf pistons somewhere. It would have insane dwell at TDC and would really test the long rod theory. I realize the Ford rods are a little strange, but if it is a junkyard dog.......

Slap either of the after market heads on it and you would have an engine that would live happily at 7000 RPM on stock stuff. I think the open chamber heads would not give enough compression without pop up pistons, and the 283 power pack heads will not flow as well. If you do use the 283 heads, I would think a set of 1.94, 1.50 and a bowl blend would help.

I would use the Torker intake with a gasket match. I had one on a 350 that worked very nicely. Great low end for an open plenium intake.

To argue my Ford Rod and 302 combo........If you want a true junkyard dog, it must contain parts from more than one OEM. As for old school, most of the old timers about bust a nut every time you mention the 302 chevy.

Later,

Chris