Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Junkyard Motors..
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2003, 05:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Re: Junkyard Motors..

Quote:
Originally posted by Zartan
First, i have searched the database here and have not found what i'm asking, so if i missed something, i apologize.

I'm looking for a 327 motor to put in a camaro, which i dont yet have.
my question is, when i go to a junkyard to find one, what do i need to look for, as far as knowing if the block is cracked or if it's rebuildable-acceptable, rebuildable-good, rebuidable-nightmare, mortgage scenario?

i'm new to this world, relatively. I've always had the interest, but i always had alot of hobbies. Now i'm getting into this one and it's exciting already! So please bear with my mundane questions at times.

Also, is there any way of getting an idea on what to pay for one of these motors?

I am going on the assumption that it's best to have the motor out of the car as i strip it down and rebuild, before bolting it in...
thx

You might want to try what i did, in So. Calif. I advertized I wanted to haul away a 327 engine need not pass smog and as complete as possibe, the first one was a 350 sm journal good short block, the second one the guy wanted $50 for a complete motor large journal less carb pulley and accessories. The third I came accross was a 327 1963 from a still owned corvette with the camel hump heads. long block offenhouser intake no carb pulleys or distrributor. I gave $300 for it and it runs beautiful. I to am new at this stuff and we (my 17 year old) son put it in my frame for my 50 f1 pu and it fired write up and we were two super happey fellows. It is taken shape. Hope to try to drive this truck after 2 1/2 years in a couple of months. Ed ke6bnl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left side paited 327.jpg (65.0 KB, 151 views)