Hot Rod Forum banner

Junkyard/Salvage Yard Parts Paint Marking removal

24K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  RICK.69SS 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the right section or not. I've picked up a few pieces for my build from various salvage yards and they all use some sort of paint to tag their items (I guess so they don't get other yards parts returned to them?).

Anyway - how should I go about removing this paint without damaging the part. Worst case, I can completely strip it with aircraft stripper and repaint the base piece, but I'd prefer to avoid this if possible (these are primarily external engine parts).

Not sure if this is the right section for this question. I did a search, but it didn't return anything pertinent - I might be using the wrong terms though... Mods feel free to move...

#4 ·
I used a bit of mineral spirits to clean off some of that stuff. Worked great on a plastic fan shroud, but wasn't worth a crap on a set of mirrors for my '79 Monte. Different base material on the part, and length of time it was on probably had a lot to do with it.

In a while, Chet.

#8 ·
Lacquer thinner on a Q tip. If you are very careful and only use a little at a time you should be able to get it off. Just dab in on the tag and wipe it off. You will have to experiment with each tag but you will get good after a short while. When you get most of it off you can try using rubbing compound and then polishing compound for the last little bit. Take a few of your old parts to the places where you bought your parts from and have them tag them and then practice on those pieces. If you screw up you can always repaint the whole thing. Good luck.

#12 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

If you can get some, and you have no rubber / Plastic parts...

Methyl ~ Ethyl ~ Keytone (MEK) will remove ANYTHING..

Be careful with it, wear gloves, Goggles and a respirator..that Stuff can kill you..now and later.

Do it outside with good ventilation, and Do not spill it on your driveway..It will MELT asphalt.

Doc :pimp:

#13 ·
JAKE 68 GMC said:
Maybe acetone?
Finally got around to trying some things. First thing I grabbed was Acetone. Took the paint markings right off and left the factory finish.

Thanks for all the replies!!

I have some other items that need to have this marking paint removed, so I'll try the other things suggested here and post up the results.

#19 ·
ccb said:
MEK is one of the most dangerous chemicals available. A health ender.

thats why Doc said

docvette said:
Be careful with it, wear gloves, Goggles and a respirator..that Stuff can kill you..now and later.

Do it outside with good ventilation, and Do not spill it on your driveway..It will MELT asphalt.

Doc :pimp:

#21 ·
if we want to melt somebody's driveway now we know what to do.

muahahahahahahaha! *evil laugh*

and the next day those involved in melting somebody's driveway will die due to a combination of liver, kidney, lung, heart, and sphincter failure with the ends of our shirtsleeves melted off into one with our newly melted off limbs.

Now, I don't think MEK is a good idea. Leave it to the pros to use. If it can melt asphalt, I wouldn't want to bother with it. And this is coming from a guy who took a big bottle of medical grade n20 and a lawnmower, taped the end of the hose inside the air cleaner cover, fired the engine, and cracked the valve. :evil:

#22 ·
salvage/dismantler yard markings

GOOD MORNING...IN REGUARDS TO THE MARKS ON THE USED PARTS..
IT IS PUT THERE SO IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WHEN RETURNING THE PART THE YARD PEOPLE KNOW IT IS THEIRS.......
SOMETIMES CUSTOMERS REMOVE THE MARKINGS BEFORE THE PART IS TRIED,,AND THEN TRY TO RETURN IT IF IT'S WORNG-MISTAKE...
THERE ARE SEVERAL TYPES OF PAINT,AND INKS USED..

LAQUER THINNER..OR BEST,,"FINGERNAIL POLISH REMOVER" WORKS GOOD..
IT'S ALREADY CUT WITH WATER.....JUST DON'T USE TOO MUCH..OR TOO LONG ON PLASTIC.....REMEMBER..OLD GM'S USED LAQUER PAINTS,,FORDS WERE ENAMEL.....
RICK.69SS...AKA A-CAR AUTO WRECKING,MONTCLAIR,CA.
ACARAUTOWRECKING@AOL.COM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.