Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   General Rodding Tech (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/general-rodding-tech/)
-   -   Junkyard/Salvage Yard Parts Paint Marking removal (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/junkyard-salvage-yard-parts-paint-marking-removal-94976.html)

Cebby 08-01-2006 01:25 PM

Junkyard/Salvage Yard Parts Paint Marking removal

Not sure if this is the right section or not. I've picked up a few pieces for my build from various salvage yards and they all use some sort of paint to tag their items (I guess so they don't get other yards parts returned to them?).

Anyway - how should I go about removing this paint without damaging the part. Worst case, I can completely strip it with aircraft stripper and repaint the base piece, but I'd prefer to avoid this if possible (these are primarily external engine parts).

Not sure if this is the right section for this question. I did a search, but it didn't return anything pertinent - I might be using the wrong terms though... Mods feel free to move...

silentpoet 08-01-2006 02:04 PM

bead blasting maybe?

1931 steve 08-01-2006 02:07 PM

Is it just like a paint stick paint? If so I have had good results with brake clean and a shop rag.

Steve

schnitz 08-01-2006 04:23 PM

I used a bit of mineral spirits to clean off some of that stuff. Worked great on a plastic fan shroud, but wasn't worth a crap on a set of mirrors for my '79 Monte. Different base material on the part, and length of time it was on probably had a lot to do with it.

In a while, Chet.

Cebby 08-01-2006 07:14 PM

Here's what I'm dealing with - I have a few parts like this I need to get this stuff off of:

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/9...20(Medium).jpg

GypsyR 08-01-2006 08:45 PM

I 've had success with lacquer thinner. Sometimes I've had to "soak" the marks a bit with a rag soaked with thinner. That and a wire brush has worked on the toughest stuff for me.

JAKE 68 GMC 08-05-2006 08:50 PM

Maybe acetone?

home brew 08-05-2006 11:34 PM

Lacquer thinner on a Q tip. If you are very careful and only use a little at a time you should be able to get it off. Just dab in on the tag and wipe it off. You will have to experiment with each tag but you will get good after a short while. When you get most of it off you can try using rubbing compound and then polishing compound for the last little bit. Take a few of your old parts to the places where you bought your parts from and have them tag them and then practice on those pieces. If you screw up you can always repaint the whole thing. Good luck.

OneMoreTime 08-06-2006 01:27 PM

Dremel tool with the little wire brushes can help as well..

Sam

junkyardjeff 08-06-2006 10:30 PM

I would make sure its good before you remove the markings as they might not want to make it right if its removed,I usually do not remove the markings if the parts are going on my daily drivers due to my laziness. Jeff

daveh 08-07-2006 01:45 PM

WD-40 will get it off. Put some on let it sit and come back later. I have good success almost 95% of the time.

Dave

docvette 08-10-2006 03:32 AM

Doc here, :pimp:

If you can get some, and you have no rubber / Plastic parts...

Methyl ~ Ethyl ~ Keytone (MEK) will remove ANYTHING..

Be careful with it, wear gloves, Goggles and a respirator..that Stuff can kill you..now and later.

Do it outside with good ventilation, and Do not spill it on your driveway..It will MELT asphalt.

Doc :pimp:

Cebby 08-11-2006 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAKE 68 GMC
Maybe acetone?

Finally got around to trying some things. First thing I grabbed was Acetone. Took the paint markings right off and left the factory finish.

Thanks for all the replies!!

I have some other items that need to have this marking paint removed, so I'll try the other things suggested here and post up the results.

mitchellsk 08-23-2006 12:13 PM

Normally if I tell them I won't be returning it they wont mark it. They mark them in case you need to return/exchange it.

66GMC 08-23-2006 01:52 PM

Brake fluid is another one. The paint lifts, wrinkles, and wipes off.
You have to let it soak for a while though ... overnight?