Hot Rod Forum banner

Junkyard Vortec 350 Build Complete

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jokerZ71 
#1 · (Edited)
Finished my Junkyard Vortec 350 build quite please with this little engine. Pulls strong till 5000 rpm can do burnout and chirp the tires at will. Amazing how little wear was on it. All I did was hone the cylinders and re ring/ bearing it. Has good compression 150 psi in each cylinder. Not bad for an engine I pulled from the pick n pull for $60 1/2 day special.

Stock Vortec 350 Shortblock (1998 Chev)
Comp XE270HR cam
LS6 Beehive Valve Springs
650 Cfm Edelbrock carb

Also scored some deals from the classifieds. I'm a cheap **** lol. I did have to spend some money to get threaded studs and the valve guides cut down. All said I have around a $1,000 into it. It seems like such a waste all those good engines getting crushed everyday out there.

Much thanks for all the advice from those who chipped in along the way. This site has helped rebuild a 700r4 and add a posi to a GM 12 bolt as well.

Vehicle Car Off-road vehicle Scrap Mud

Engine Auto part Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

See less See more
#3 ·
Finished my Junkyard Vortec 350 build quite please with this little engine. Pulls strong till 5000 rpm can do burnout and chirp the tires at will. Amazing how little wear was on it. All I did was hone the cylinders and re ring/ bearing it. Has good compression 150 psi in each cylinder. Not bad for an engine I pulled from the pick n pull for $60 1/2 day special.

Stock Vortec 350 Shortblock (1998 Chev)
Comp XE270HR cam
LS6 Beehive Valve Springs
650 Cfm Edelbrock carb

Also scored some deals from the classifieds. I'm a cheap **** lol. I did have to spend some money to get threaded studs and the valve guides cut down. All said I have around a $1,000 into it. It seems like such a waste all those good engines getting crushed everyday out there.

Much thanks for all the advice from those who chipped in along the way. This site has helped rebuild a 700r4 and add a posi to a GM 12 bolt as well.

View attachment 291778

View attachment 291786
This sounds very nice, finding a good used engine is the key to keeping the cost down. Often a lot can be done with these.

Bogie

#4 · (Edited)
Finished my Junkyard Vortec 350 build quite please with this little engine. Pulls strong till 5000 rpm can do burnout and chirp the tires at will. Comp XE270HR cam ... 350 hp 400 tq?
Looks like a great engine... I would expect your setup to pull strong to 6,000+ RPMs... are you just short shifting it? Or is something stopping it from revving? Yes, about 375 HP @ 5800 RPMs...

#6 ·
It's amazing how well some of these motors look inside even after over 200,000 miles.Between the EFI & 4 speed transmission & the oils today,along with proper maintenance,you can keep em going for along time.Not just keep them going,but,doing so really well.My L31 crate in my truck now has just over 370,000 miles.
I would think if eeverything is good,you should be in 375 HP range & 425,or so torque.May need to spin a little past that 5000 mark to get there tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.