Just acquired a Jag rear end... now what? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 11:44 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Just acquired a Jag rear end... now what?

I'm building my first rod. This past weekend I acquired a Jag rear end and front end... both rebuilt and in great shape except for 1 leaky shock. I'm building my own frame, as well. Does anybody make frames rails that this IRS and IFS will bolt right to? It'd be a lot easier for me if I could just build the frame between the pre-made frame rails.

Also, what are some suppliers of Jag suspension parts I should know about? I've heard of CWI, but can't find a web site for them... Does anybody here have a web address or email address for them?

Thanks!
Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

Jag

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinestes
I'm building my first rod. This past weekend I acquired a Jag rear end and front end... both rebuilt and in great shape except for 1 leaky shock. I'm building my own frame, as well. Does anybody make frames rails that this IRS and IFS will bolt right to? It'd be a lot easier for me if I could just build the frame between the pre-made frame rails.

Also, what are some suppliers of Jag suspension parts I should know about? I've heard of CWI, but can't find a web site for them... Does anybody here have a web address or email address for them?

Thanks!
Chris
What is it going in, I would image you are taking the rear out of it's cage so there is quite a bit you will have to make or buy. You don't have to worry about the leaky shock as you will more than likely have to buy new, to fit the weight of your car. You can go on line and find frame builders, and get a hold of one that would make what you need for you car.

Bob.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

Jag Ifs

The jag ifs (and i believe that the jag rear) will fit right into a 48-52 ford f1
Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

Jag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob
The jag ifs (and i believe that the jag rear) will fit right into a 48-52 ford f1
You have to know which Jag it came out of, and the width of what it is going into. The jag I have fit right into my 33. He wants a frame for his car, or the car he is going to build, he will have to take that into account when he picks a car to build, if he has not done so already.

Bob
Old 08-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Download the book by Cboy..it is on the home page of this site and roll your own chassis to suit the pieces that you have..

Sam
Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Jag

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Download the book by Cboy..it is on the home page of this site and roll your own chassis to suit the pieces that you have..

Sam
Sam I might be reading it wrong,but I don't think he has anything but the Jag front and rear, I don't know if he knows what he wants to build. I might have read it wrong.

Bob
Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

jag IFS and IrS

My son used a jag rear in his 22 dodge latester. We used the plans from CCR for the frame and chassis. I copied the pans and laminated them and used the optical plasma at the college and had some distortion. Next time I will use the CCR plans and draft my own patterns from their guide, Save the jag cage and use pieces for drill guides. there is a lot of jag info on the HAMB and the Tbucketeers sites. Jag swaps are popular in the UK, australia and new zeland. we presently have 4 xj6 rears , 2 xjs fronts and 2 jag f 40 front in the shop for our projects. There is some wiki info her on HR about building t buckets, hair pins stc.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:35 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

T bucket plans.

ron young ( Youngster on the net) has posted about 20 pages of his free T bucket build plans, a stock jag front looks funky on an open wheel , no fendered car but K & K custom crosmembers have a good looking crosmember I plan on building a similar front for my F 40 jag front
Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Once he can make the choice as to what kind of car he is building then we can help him with specific questions..

Sam
Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

So here's a pretty good forum discussion with some good links:

http://www.clubhotrod.com/suspension...tallation.html

And I typed this into google:

Jag IRS frames

Then clicked on the "image" icon and found lots of jpegs of installations and other stuff.

Good luck
Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

Just wanted to add that i have a link to CWI in my book marks, http://cwiinc.com/contact.htm, but it appears they have gone **** up. That's too bad, they made some cool stuff!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:45 AM

I'm back. I had a crazy several weeks, but I'm able to get back to my project.

First of all, thanks for all the information.

So far I have the '75 XJ 6 4-door Jag IFS and IRS. I have a Pontiac Sprint OHC Straight 6, and a GM 200r4 tranny. I may end up with a Pontiac 389 V-8, so I will build the car so that is easy enough to swap in.

I don't know what body I will end up with yet.
I found cboy's book and I love it. I may try to build my own body, so I can make it fit the IFS and IRS. We'll see.

I'll log on regularly from now on.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

Jag front and rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinestes
I'm back. I had a crazy several weeks, but I'm able to get back to my project.

First of all, thanks for all the information.

So far I have the '75 XJ 6 4-door Jag IFS and IRS. I have a Pontiac Sprint OHC Straight 6, and a GM 200r4 tranny. I may end up with a Pontiac 389 V-8, so I will build the car so that is easy enough to swap in.

I don't know what body I will end up with yet.
I found cboy's book and I love it. I may try to build my own body, so I can make it fit the IFS and IRS. We'll see.

I'll log on regularly from now on.

Thanks!
Chris
IMO the front end would not look good in a fender less car, That goes with most IFS. IMO the body you use, you would want to be able to see the rearend, that is one of the big reasons for using one. they can go in any car, and more than likely have. They are big in T-Buckets up through 34, they look good in P/u's. JMO you could put them in a fat fendered car but it would be hard to see, if it was sitting low.

Most guys chrome them, and put in coil over shocks. you will have to buy new ones anyhow, like you said yours came out of a 4dr sedan. These are just my ideas, you will have to make your own choice.

Bob
Old 09-28-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
IMO the front end would not look good in a fender less car, That goes with most IFS. IMO the body you use, you would want to be able to see the rearend, that is one of the big reasons for using one. they can go in any car, and more than likely have. They are big in T-Buckets up through 34, they look good in P/u's. JMO you could put them in a fat fendered car but it would be hard to see, if it was sitting low.

Most guys chrome them, and put in coil over shocks. you will have to buy new ones anyhow, like you said yours came out of a 4dr sedan. These are just my ideas, you will have to make your own choice.

Bob
I agree the IFS would look odd without fenders. Both the IFS and IRS have been rebuilt and lowered propperly about 2". The rear has coil-overs already. I also agree that it would be sweet to be able to see the IRS... we'll see what I come up with for a body. I do like the pickup look. I want it low, but not so low I have to work too hard to get in and out of the thing. I'm a big 6'3", so that makes it a long way down if the seat height is lower then 12 or so inches off the asphalt.

I will keep you all advised as I move forward. I'll have MANY more questions!

Thanks!
Chris

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.