Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Just bought a 1972 Skylark that needs tuning?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy-Boy View Post
Guess ill just rebuild the carb. Haha Im just skeptical about all the small parts and fine tuning when rebuilding one. Im probably being over dramatic though. Anything else you would reccomend doing since im gonna rebuild the carb?
An upgrade I would consider, after you learn all the systems in your car and how they work, would be to replace your points distributor with an HEI from a '75 to '85 GM car or truck. Points and condensers have been used successfully on every type of conveyance since Kettering introduced them early in the 20th century, but progress marches on and the High Energy Ignition system introduced by GM in the summer of 1974 is a far better system for firing the spark plugs. It has an integral ignition coil and can produce a far stronger spark than the stock points system with a divorced coil, so that a wider gap can be used on the spark plugs. Maintenance is easier also, with no points to adjust or condenser to replace.

First though, I would learn the complete systems of my new car, including how the points distributor works and how to service and tune it.

Remember this.....a carburetor does not need high pressure to operate, so be careful if you have to replace the fuel pump. If the needle and seat "see" more than about 5-6 psi of fuel pressure, they will unseat and allow the pump to blow raw fuel into the intake manifold, creating a tuning nightmare that you may never find. A Carter "Muscle Car" pump will be the best replacement if your pump fails. Carburetors are not like fuel injection, more fuel pressure will not make more hp.