Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Just bought a 1972 Skylark that needs tuning?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy-Boy View Post
Thanks guys. I attacthed a pic of the car. The picture isnt very good. Its not faded at all.
Im not confident enough yet to rebuild the carb myself. I feel it would just be better to get a new carb anyways. But with the distributor i should replace the cap and plug wires? Can you explain more as to what i should do with the timing? The car has basically been sitting for 2 years. The guy would start it up every once in a while and take it around the block.
Very nice car and at a good price too from what I can tell by the picture. I had a '68, '70 and a '71 when I was in my early 20's. The '71 was my favorite. I am so glad to see our hobby is still going strong in our young folks. I would pull the points dist., but keep it and put it up in a safe dry place, and drop in an HEI. You're going to do a full tune-up anyway so now is a good time as any. If you do swap to an HEI get a set of Taylor 8mm wires, good quality at a budget price, and whatever brand plug you like and open the gap to .045 and adjust your timing up. I don't use a timing light so I can't tell you what to set it on but someone here will. I have always timed a motor by ear and the same with adjusting a carb. Don't forget to change your fuel filter. Happy wrenching!!