Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Just bought a 1972 Skylark that needs tuning?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Base plate may be part of the carb kit, ask the parts guy,,,

Well you asked about timing, the bogg issue could be related to that but hard to say if this is the cure, most boggs are carb/fuel delivery from my perspective but maybe you just think it is a dog lacking power and refer to this as bogg? getting the timing right will improve performance

To get timing right you first need TDC to be verified. This involves setting the balancer/dampner 0 mark to line up to the timing pointer exactly when piston #1 is at top dead center.

You would be best advised to use a piston stop along the way which is the only specialty tool needed to do this first part. You can make one with an old plug and a bolt & nut

Seach the crankshaft coalition data base, i dont have the link to the TDC proceedure right now.

Got a timing light and a vacuum gage? these are needed

My method would involve finding out were you are at first as far as base timing at idle, mechanical advance through an RPM range from idle to 3500 rpm and vacuum advance if so equiped, these are the three common aspects of setting up the timing. Before you really dig in a clean fully functional distributor is a good place to start, if the thing is worn out then your wasting time and effort, if it is all dirty then it wont perform either.

Read up on the TDC verification, there are many threads as well that detail timing methods. See what you think of doing the TDC portion and let us know.

Last edited by Custom10; 11-14-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: i cant spell