Just bought a 1972 Skylark that needs tuning? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,062 Times in 881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy-Boy View Post
Can I find a timing light at auto zone? Or O'Reillys? It seems like there soooo many different things that could be causing this.
One thing at a time. Get the factory manual and rebuild the carb. You'll see what Vinnie is talking about when you get the carb laid out on a towel on the bench as LATECH explained. Get over any urge that you may have to buy a cheapo, no-name, Chinese carburetor rebuild kit. Buy only genuine U.S.A-made parts like these.....
Rochester Twojet 2G 2GC 2GV 2GE 2 barrel carburetor parts - Carburetor Parts for Rochester Quadrajet, 4G, 2G, Mercarb & Carter AFB, AVS, Thermo-Quad Carburetors
Each time you buy any parts for the Buick, always call in your order and talk with one of the experts at the supplier. Tell them what you're working on and get advice from them while you have them on the phone. Ask about any tips or tricks that they know of that pertain to what you're working on, but don't publish to the public. Ask if they have any other products that would improve the Buick. This bit of advice goes for every part you buy.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
One thing at a time. Get the factory manual and rebuild the carb. You'll see what Vinnie is talking about when you get the carb laid out on a towel on the bench as LATECH explained. Get over any urge that you may have to buy a cheapo, no-name, Chinese carburetor rebuild kit. Buy only genuine U.S.A-made parts like these.....
Rochester Twojet 2G 2GC 2GV 2GE 2 barrel carburetor parts - Carburetor Parts for Rochester Quadrajet, 4G, 2G, Mercarb & Carter AFB, AVS, Thermo-Quad Carburetors
Each time you buy any parts for the Buick, always call in your order and talk with one of the experts at the supplier. Tell them what you're working on and get advice from them while you have them on the phone. Ask about any tips or tricks that they know of that pertain to what you're working on, but don't publish to the public. Ask if they have any other products that would improve the Buick. This bit of advice goes for every part you buy.
I found out though that the previous owner had the carb rebuilt about year ago. He said the problem was worse before It was rebuilt but after It was not so dramatic. Just throwing that out there to see If It changes your perspective on the issue. I will rebuild the carb.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
I will rebuild the carb.
That's the correct answer. Consider this punishment as the dues payment to become a Certified Gearhead.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks guys. I attacthed a pic of the car. The picture isnt very good. Its not faded at all.
Im not confident enough yet to rebuild the carb myself. I feel it would just be better to get a new carb anyways. But with the distributor i should replace the cap and plug wires? Can you explain more as to what i should do with the timing? The car has basically been sitting for 2 years. The guy would start it up every once in a while and take it around the block.
Very nice car and at a good price too from what I can tell by the picture. I had a '68, '70 and a '71 when I was in my early 20's. The '71 was my favorite. I am so glad to see our hobby is still going strong in our young folks. I would pull the points dist., but keep it and put it up in a safe dry place, and drop in an HEI. You're going to do a full tune-up anyway so now is a good time as any. If you do swap to an HEI get a set of Taylor 8mm wires, good quality at a budget price, and whatever brand plug you like and open the gap to .045 and adjust your timing up. I don't use a timing light so I can't tell you what to set it on but someone here will. I have always timed a motor by ear and the same with adjusting a carb. Don't forget to change your fuel filter. Happy wrenching!!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

nice car..
I'd get a carb rebuild kit.. and rebuild your carb.. it's a simple 2 barrel..
you CAN do it. and it's the only way to learn..
if you have a digital cmera.. and or a cell phone that takes pic's.. take pics as you take it apart.. and note on paper where stuff came from/goes..
you CAN do this...
get a manual for your car.. it's a g.m. "A" body.. so manuals won't be all that costly..
even a motors amnual covering your year will be a big help with tune up's and general upkeep..
if you can follow directions ,there is nothing on these cars you can't do yourself.. and you'll learn alot..
not only that.. but you have the internet that has forums like this one..
and buick only forums that can be a big help on finding parts..
as most have been down the road you'll go.. and not everyone builds a fire breathing car..
good luck with it..
and ry to do as much as you can, as you'll learn a ton.. and you'll be happy you did it..
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

So a Lot of people are telling me to set my timing a few degrees up. Does anyone know about how many degrees up I should go? Also where would be a good place for a HEI distributor?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Nut2001 View Post
Very nice car and at a good price too from what I can tell by the picture. I had a '68, '70 and a '71 when I was in my early 20's. The '71 was my favorite. I am so glad to see our hobby is still going strong in our young folks. I would pull the points dist., but keep it and put it up in a safe dry place, and drop in an HEI. You're going to do a full tune-up anyway so now is a good time as any. If you do swap to an HEI get a set of Taylor 8mm wires, good quality at a budget price, and whatever brand plug you like and open the gap to .045 and adjust your timing up. I don't use a timing light so I can't tell you what to set it on but someone here will. I have always timed a motor by ear and the same with adjusting a carb. Don't forget to change your fuel filter. Happy wrenching!!
Is this the type of HEI your saying I should get?
BUICK ELECTRA MSD Ultimate HEI Kits 8501 - SummitRacing.com
Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

I think not, that is a kit that contains parts for an HEI. You need the entire unit. An delco HEI dist from a 75 buick 350 will work. Find a junk yard version and rebuild it or buy new/reman.

1975 BUICK LESABRE Distributor

Needs a coil, any HEI dist coil circa 75 will do.

For me I would leave the points distributor unit in it for now, maybe pull it out and clean it up some new points, condenser, cap, rotor for 50 bucks done. Check rock auto for those or your local parts store. If you do HEI conversion then you need to change the power supply wiring to it etc etc. Not too difficult but,,,IMO

Stick with one thing at a time, carb first. Yes call the desk before you order anything on-line.
The Following User Says Thank You to Custom10 For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

So I understand that I should rebuild the carb. But after the previous owner telling me It had this problem before and after he had the carb rebuilt. It really leads me to believe that something else is cause the bogging.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
So I understand that I should rebuild the carb. But after the previous owner telling me It had this problem before and after he had the carb rebuilt. It really leads me to believe that something else is cause the bogging.
Timmy, you're putting too much trust in human nature. Most people who say they have rebuilt a carburetor mean that they took it apart and replaced the gaskets. Most gearheads are carburetor-ignorant. You will be an exception to the rule. I can see you soaking all the parts in a can of carb cleaner, blowing out all the passages with compressed air and doing all the things that your new factory service manual tells you to do. There's a good lad......
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It may be a good idea to check for vacuum leaks. Purchase a can of carb cleaner and spray around the base of the carb while the engine is running...make sure all vacuum lines are hooked up and not cracked. I have had a rochester 2bl carb with a warped base plate. See if that increases the idle speed or smooths out the idle...It's worth a try before you rebuild the carb.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

He has reciepts from the shop he had It done at though. I still plan to rebuild It. Thats pretty much inevitable now. But If It is a warped base plate what could I do about it?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

Base plate may be part of the carb kit, ask the parts guy,,,

Well you asked about timing, the bogg issue could be related to that but hard to say if this is the cure, most boggs are carb/fuel delivery from my perspective but maybe you just think it is a dog lacking power and refer to this as bogg? getting the timing right will improve performance

To get timing right you first need TDC to be verified. This involves setting the balancer/dampner 0 mark to line up to the timing pointer exactly when piston #1 is at top dead center.

You would be best advised to use a piston stop along the way which is the only specialty tool needed to do this first part. You can make one with an old plug and a bolt & nut

Seach the crankshaft coalition data base, i dont have the link to the TDC proceedure right now.

Got a timing light and a vacuum gage? these are needed

My method would involve finding out were you are at first as far as base timing at idle, mechanical advance through an RPM range from idle to 3500 rpm and vacuum advance if so equiped, these are the three common aspects of setting up the timing. Before you really dig in a clean fully functional distributor is a good place to start, if the thing is worn out then your wasting time and effort, if it is all dirty then it wont perform either.

Read up on the TDC verification, there are many threads as well that detail timing methods. See what you think of doing the TDC portion and let us know.

Last edited by Custom10; 11-14-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: i cant spell
Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Link to TDC verification,,,good stuff

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...op_dead_center

dont let all this over whelm you, take'r cool and have fun, enjoy your car
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

Theres no way Its a dog lacking power issue. There is something wrong. Would It be a good idea for me to maybe just replace the timing chain and do all the timing then? And maybe look into an HEI to put on once i did all that.

Tags
350, 455, buick, carb

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.