Just bought a 1972 Skylark that needs tuning? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just bought a 1972 Skylark that needs tuning?

So i just bought this beautiful lark. I payed $3,000 for It. I'm about to turn 17 and this is basically my first car. The car is almost all original excluding the wheels and the interior has been redone. It has 79,000 original miles on it. Under the hood is a 350 with a 2bbl carb I believe to be a Rochester? Or whatever comes stock on them. The car runs good but It needs a good tune up. First thing is the car will bog when given to much gas to quick. I'm pretty sure its because of a lack of air. I also checked the spark plugs and they were pretty black which I'm pretty sure is a sign its running to rich? It seems to idle perfectly normal and when sitting if you give it gas it doesn't really bog. I need to figure out how to solve this problem so I can start driving her. Would It just be easier to buy a new holley 2bbl carb for about a $150? I plan on doing an oil change, new plugs, belts, hoses, etc... Please leave me your thoughts on how to solve this problem and any other things i should consider doing to her before hitting the road.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 PM

rebuild the carb, put new plugs and wires,have some fun
Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

17, yay, another young man in the hobby.thats how it stays alive. cool. nice car to start with too you lucky rascal.i had a 59 ford for my first car. good luck and let us know how its goin. got any pics ??? we all like to see them rides.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
rebuild the carb, put new plugs and wires,have some fun
I agree with Vinniekq2, how long has it been sitting? If your not confident in rebuilding the carb, buying a rebuild or a new one may be the way to go...do everything you said and don't forget about replacing the air filter. If the car is running rich, your getting more fuel than air, a plugged air filter can give you this effect...check that out first.

Congratulations young man and best of luck.

Ray
Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Don't forget the points, condenser, cap and rotor with that tune up. Set the intial timing a few degrees above what is stated on the label as that was the beginning of the smogger motors.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

........and an oil/filter change.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys. I attacthed a pic of the car. The picture isnt very good. Its not faded at all.
Im not confident enough yet to rebuild the carb myself. I feel it would just be better to get a new carb anyways. But with the distributor i should replace the cap and plug wires? Can you explain more as to what i should do with the timing? The car has basically been sitting for 2 years. The guy would start it up every once in a while and take it around the block.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5Kc5R05J13G53I83o9ca2fe568f8e08b01700.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	69119  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy-Boy View Post
Thanks guys. I attacthed a pic of the car. The picture isnt very good. Its not faded at all.
Im not confident enough yet to rebuild the carb myself. I feel it would just be better to get a new carb anyways. But with the distributor i should replace the cap and plug wires? Can you explain more as to what i should do with the timing?
Beautiful...where are you from, it looks like there isn't any rust...from the picture anyway.

As far as timing goes, if you advance the timing several degrees from factory recommendations ( say factory tells you it should be set at 20 degrees advance? not sure what the factory timing specs are, set it at 22 degrees) you get a bit more power. This is something you could play with down the road, for now it might be a good idea to set it up to run well and enjoy.

Nice car
Ray
Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 AM

under the hood the factory has posted the tune up specs.Basically do that. when you have a few extra dollars,consider changing the points to a none points ignition.Either put a kit in the factory distributor or adapt a GM HEI distributor(high energy ignition) to rebuild that 2 barrel,its actually quite easy,just like building a model,the rebuild gasket set comes with pictures and instructions.Those carbs are known to have the base plate loosen
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

Im from Phoenix AZ. Im not sure where the car originated from but its been in Arizona for a while. The Isn't any rust I could find when examining the car. Shes in great shape and other than the small acceleration problem she runs like a champ. I don't think i wanna buy a new distributor for this motor. I haven't decided for sure yet but I might just build a 455 motor and TH400 trans to swap into It a little later on. So If I'm gonna do that I don't see the point In putting a bunch of money into this motor. Just wanna get It running and reliable.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

One thing that I remember from working on a buddy's Skylark.....When setting the timing, be careful...that distributor is awful close to the fan....lost some knuckle skin doing that.

Budget RVs
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
One thing that I remember from working on a buddy's Skylark.....When setting the timing, be careful...that distributor is awful close to the fan....lost some knuckle skin doing that.
Ill be sure to take extra precautions with that. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

My first car was also a 72 skylark, nice. It had a beautiful center shifter console, crome plate with the inverted U shaped handle, sweet. The trans only lasted me a couple months Last time I drove that car home was in reverse

I would agree, just rebuild the carb thats on it, not complicated, take your time. Good car to learn on, good luck.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10 View Post
My first car was also a 72 skylark, nice. It had a beautiful center shifter console, crome plate with the inverted U shaped handle, sweet. The trans only lasted me a couple months Last time I drove that car home was in reverse

I would agree, just rebuild the carb thats on it, not complicated, take your time. Good car to learn on, good luck.
I may do that. I would kinda prefer just to get a new Holley 2bbl. But i guess ill see what Im gonn do
Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

A holley 2 bbl won't just bolt on. You'll need an adaptor. Here's a link to identify your carb. They also sell rebuilts.
Rochester Carb ID

Tags
350, 455, buick, carb

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.