Just bought a 400 thanks to all you guys who helped me - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2002, 05:14 PM
banned

Wiki Edits: 0

Talking Just bought a 400 thanks to all you guys who helped me

Yeah so I just bought a 400... Casting # 330817
With heads # 333882
I am pretty excited it looks like a really good engine... It doesn't even look like it has been bored over... I guess the true test will be when I get it all checked out for cracks
The crank needs to be machined... one of the journals was raped.... other than that the pistons look like the origional and I can barely feel the ridge with my finger nail (it needs machining) There was no heat scoring anywhere and it looked like the only place there was carbon buildup was the pistons and a little in the cylinders (lots on pistons)other than that there isn't too much to say... other than that the guy I bought it off of got it from his neighbor who builds race engines and garenteed him that it would work good....

Thanks to all you guys who helped me out giving me info and such... I am probably gunna have a million other questions now...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2002, 04:07 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

Cool

I suggest having the block steamed and magna-fluxed. I got and older 400 and punched it to 406. Check that crank where the brng. spun or what ever for proper oil passage, there may be a blockage or partial blockage of some sort. I'm staying with the 1.94 heads I got and adding an aluminum intake and Edelbrock carb. Don't care for Holleys except in racing applications where adjustments are important. I'll run center drop cast iron headers off my shelf and the cherry bomb style mufflers. Rv cam and hydrolic lifters for just a little more punch.

Todd
Old 12-01-2002, 09:55 AM
banned

yeah where the bearing spun isn't too bad... other than that the engine is in really good shape... it doesn't even look like it has been bored at all... there is alot of carbon build up (either was burning oil or the guy never used it on the highway) the thing is protected seeings how it is covered in oil...
Old 12-01-2002, 03:16 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Stoned,
Do as TM stated. A 400 is a good block but the one thing you have to look out for is the sistered cylinders. There tends to be problems in that area with the block cracking due to the way the water jackets are. If if Magnafluxes ok then you are good to go. Just watch when putting it back together the head gaskets are opened up for the steam ports.

Kevin
Old 12-01-2002, 04:59 PM
banned

yeah... I am willing to get the block fixed if I really need to...

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.