Just bought 454 bbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Just bought 454 bbc

So i posted an earlier thread about my 402 in my elcamino. I came across a 454 bored .060 over with a steel crank cross drilled for only 340 dollars. just wondering what ideas you guys had for what i should do to it. I have been reading into stroking it and making it a 496? Is that a good way to go? Just want some ideas on it first.
Thanks!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

If the bottom end is fresh and the money has all ready been spent on it, I would run as is. But if you plan on rebuilding it and spending money on the bottom end anyway.....there is no shame having 50 more cubes
Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM

well its just a bare block thats why i wanted ideas im intending to try and do alot and make alot of power. so i dont have anything to put in it right now besides that crank but what do u guys think about thee stroker kit??
Old 10-18-2010, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

If you need to buy rods and pistons,I say go for a stroker kit.What year is the block ?? You need to know if its a Mark IV or newer.Scat and others make some reasonably priced kits.You can go with cast or forged cranks,hyper or forged pistons,prices range from $ 1100-3000,all depends on your budget & desired goal.Heres a Howards kit;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-RATB496F/
Add a set of heads;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRO-2061001/
A cam kit;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60203LK/
Plus all the other assorted parts you will need,intake,carb,pushrods,distributor,headers,etc. ..
the above links are just examples,you could go either way in the $$$ amount.Matching the parts to work together will give the best results.
Guy
Old 10-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

heres a link to several pages of different big block combo's;
http://www.chevelles.com/cgi-bin/bbcombo/ugb47.cgi
Guy
Old 10-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumpy72
So i posted an earlier thread about my 402 in my elcamino. I came across a 454 bored .060 over with a steel crank cross drilled for only 340 dollars. just wondering what ideas you guys had for what i should do to it. I have been reading into stroking it and making it a 496? Is that a good way to go? Just want some ideas on it first.
Thanks!!!
Professional engine builders don't think much of a cross drilled crank. That may be why the fellow sold it to you.

Here's some info on the mod by Jack Merkel Racing Engines. What he said is quoted here.....

"David Reher of Reher/Morrison recently reported having experienced rod bearing failures in big block Chevrolet engines with cross drilled crankshafts; replacing those crankshafts with cranks not cross drilled seemed to cure the problem. Here’s the theory: a ½ groove bearing only supplies oil to the rod journal for 180 degrees of rotation, the other 180 degrees residual oil lubricates the rod journal. Cross drilling provides another source for that oil because as one oil hole passes the end of the oil supply groove, the other hole opens up to the groove. But, here’s the problem; in a cross drilled crankshaft, oil has to fight centrifugal force trying to flow to the center of the journal before flowing to the other side where it can feed the rod bearing. If pressure is inadequate to counteract the centrifugal force, oil will actually be forced out of the cross drilled passage and can potentially obstruct oil flow! Oldsmobile big blocks typically have what is referred to as a "fully grooved" main bearing. The oil supply groove runs the full circumference of the bearing. There is really no need to cross drill the crankshaft as the rod bearings have continuous oil flow. Remember, the oil feeding the rod journals from the main bearings do not go through the center of the main journal, these passages are angled toward the rod journal so oil passing through these passages face only a fraction of the centrifugal force that the oil passing through a cross drilled passage would face. Bottom line: in my opinion, don’t cross drill your crankshaft!"
Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 PM

Thank you guys so much for all the input.
ya i dont think that i will use that crank im going to buy the stroker kit as soon as i get the money.
thank you guy hiltz alot of info i will look into it more thanks guys
Old 10-19-2010, 03:32 AM

Last photo:

The sky is the limit in what you can do with a BBC.A set of slightly ported stock 049 or 781 oval port heads can work very good,with a cast rotating assembly and a decent cam,can make good hp & torque.Me,I like the rectangle port heads,I'm on my 2nd set on my bb.Lots of people will tell you that the oval ports make way more power than the rect ports at lower rpm's,but with proper camshaft selection,they will haul the mail pretty darn good.Mine works real good from 2500-6500 rpm.But I also like solid roller cams,which is too much maintenance for some,but its not really that bad.It all depends on your budget and your end goal,like the old saying goes,"Speed costs,how fast do you want to go ?" Careful planning is the key !!! If I need to rebuild mine again in the future,a stroker kit would be on my list.
Guy
Old 10-19-2010, 09:44 AM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

What to build is the most common question asked on this forum. The only way to properly answer that question is to define how the engine will be used and what is your budget. That is a much smarter approach than setting goals for peak hp.

For most street cars like my El Camino, (check my project journal and other posts), a well built 454 can easily make 500hp with a stock cast crank and rods (I added domed pistons to boost CR) while using good oval port heads. The Oval port heads give good low rpm torque and throttle response, which improves drivability. I have built my 500+hp bbc for less than $5k, and my El Camino will keep up with most of the street cars in town. If I were going racing I would a) pick a lighter car and b) have a full race motor from a reputable builder,

While stoker kits will wake up any bbc they are expensive (except when you have a cross drilled crank and need to replace it along with rods and pistons, then the stroker kit is only [slightly?] more than the cost of cast crank, rods, pistons).

IMHO - if you are doing a stroker, then use the forged crank, rods, and pistons - they are expensive, but the longer stroke increases the stresses on your rotating assembly at high rpms.
Also get everything assembled correctly, balanced properly, and of course ensure you have optimized squish, quench, CR, etc. Make sure you have good quality rings and bearings, you don't want to ruin an expensive build using bargain hunter hard parts.

Since you are going to have to buy heads, buy a good set of Aluminum oval port heads. I have a set of old school iron heads with larger valves all set up for my cam. But for what I paid, a few pennies more would have bought an equally good set of Aluminum heads.

Finally, remember to factor in all of the other parts (alt, wp, valve covers, intake carb) and the small pieces (hoses, brackets, pulleys, etc) when you figure your budget. These parts add up quick (and some are downright expensive - like a single groove v belt crank pulley, $175 in some catalogs, luckily I found one at Ausley's for $20).
And fit the engine build cost into the total project cost for your El Camino, you will spend a lot of money making sure that you have adequate steering, suspension, brakes, exhaust, etc so that your new bbc has a good (safe to drive) home.

There is a lot to think about, but don't worry, you can figure out the details as you go along. But start at the beginning, How are you going to use your car?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 PM

i think i have my suspension part covered in the front i have upper and lower tubular control arms from global west and 1 inch lowering hotchkis sprins, and 3 way adjustable drag shocks from competition engineering it handles like nother.
yes there is alot to be looking at to build a motor thats why its my winter project haha and i am planning on putting alot of money into it its my baby.

i want the car to be street and track but i want good hp like hopefully 500 or 600.
thank you guys so much u guys have helped alot!!
are dart heads good?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.