Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Garage - Tools (
-   -   Just Bought a Furnace Need Help with Chimney (

69crewcab 10-30-2006 06:53 PM

Just Bought a Furnace Need Help with Chimney

I just bough a oil fired Hot Air furnace for my Garage, and need some ideas
for running a chimney for it?? Whats my easiest way of spewing the nasty exhaust out of it.. Size? Thru the wall or Roof? Etc


smoke 10-30-2006 07:16 PM

It should have a round or rectangler opening for the flue. Either way you should be able to get an adapter to round. Most oil furnaces have to go up thru the roof but if it has a power venter you can go sidewall or you can get a power venter for it but the cheapest most likely is to go up.

59 wagon man 10-30-2006 07:32 PM

Use Double Wall Or "b" Vent Pipe To Be Safe Passing Thru The Roof,ceiling Or Any Other Combustable Material . Maintain The Minumum Clearences Rec By The Manuf. You May Be Able To Get The Pipes At A Plumbing Supply.thats Where I Used To Ge It When I Lived Up North

russlaferrera 10-30-2006 07:38 PM

furnace chimminy
Do you have the directions? What do they recommend. If not can You go to their web site?

I am not trying to PO you. With the new furnaces that are out with the ultra efficiency some are being vented with PVC, Others use double or triple wall ss or steel liners.

As Smoke suggested power vents, or side venting may be an option.

Last , what does your local building regulations state? I know you probably want them in your plan.....but should something happen it would be nice to be compliant even if you did not get a permit.....russ

dinger 10-31-2006 10:23 AM

You really need to get some clearances from the manufacturer. Some will have b-vent flue, some may have direct vent. A side vent will require a flashing with the proper clearances, a vertical, the same. 3 inch, 4 inch, round, oval, aluminum, stainless? Some take woodstove (class a), some gas vent. Try a web search for your make and model, take it from there. An improper installation may void any home insurance you have. There's a how to section on wood stove installation on this site somewhere, it may help. Dan

Lonestar 10-31-2006 12:38 PM

Oil fired furnaces run hotter than gas and build up soot faster. If you are asking this question, then maybe you should have a qualified installer do the work.

Take a look at this link for an idea of how it should be done.

69crewcab 11-08-2006 10:33 AM

thanks for all the responses..

38mag 11-08-2006 07:37 PM

Just Bought a Furnace Need Help with Chimney
"B" vent is for gas furnaces, it is not approved for oil!!!

For oil furnaces you need "L" vent, or "C" vent

Also remember the burner most be at least 18" or more above the floor.

Talk to a heating contractor or dealer.

Check local codes.

Do it right the first time, it may cost more a little more to do it right, but it could save you from having a costly fire, or GOD forbid personal injury to you or someone you love.

Lonestar 11-08-2006 07:49 PM


Originally Posted by 69crewcab
thanks for all the responses..


Chimney constuction must be done in accordance to certain safety requirements and local / state codes. This is to protect you and your family. If you are not familiar with said requirements do not attempt to do it yourself...get a reputable contractor to perform the work.

Having heat in your garage is great, but not at the expense of yours and your loved ones lives.

DO NOT think that you can rig something up, all of us here would rather you stay around to chit chat...

69crewcab 11-08-2006 07:56 PM

Once again, thanks for the info.. As for the garage, my garage(was an old carriage house) is 250 feet away from my home. I plan on reading up on this, so i do it right the first time, But isnt a oil burner almost like a waste oil heater?
It needs air and an exhaust..

38mag 11-09-2006 05:51 AM

Just Bought a Furnace Need Help with Chimney
Yes, not only do you need an approved flue, but you must provide air for combustion.

Also if you are using an exhaust fan you must provide make up air to replace the air that is being exhausted.

Talk to heating contractor, fireman, oil supplier or youl local code emforcememt official.

Do it right,do it safe.

smoke 11-11-2006 06:16 PM

I dont know your code in your state but in Oregon or at least Portland you need to run a flue in the type venting for the appliance. Single wall, double wall, tripple wall or whatever it calls for, also if it does not have a spot to bring in fresh air to the unit you need to figure out how many square inches of fresh air you need and cut one hole 12 inches of the floor and one 12 inches of the cieling to bring in the combinde square inches you need. Just for example you would need 2 14/14 holes for fresh air.
If you need any help pm me, but like others have said be very safe and check your codes in your county. It is just not worth it and you could void any insurance you may have on the place. I hope all works out well.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.