Just bought my first GTO, I need a pontiac expert! - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have made a note of every step I have taken, and drawn pictures and diagrams. I only have to remove the main things now, like the bell housing bolts, motor mounts, and the headers. I will hook up the levelet tomorrow and see what it looks/feels like. Thank you very much for giving me the size of the bolts to use that is very helpful.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

I dig these work in progress threads, nice to see the GTO getting the attention it is due.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:02 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The leveler:

As can be seen, it will work perfectly well bolted to the end intake bolt holes. To use it on the ends of the heads would require the chain to be lengthened.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
I dig these work in progress threads, nice to see the GTO getting the attention it is due.

you know, I was thinking that maybe I should start a new thread with pictures of the progress of the engine removal and installation.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam83
you know, I was thinking that maybe I should start a new thread with pictures of the progress of the engine removal and installation.
You can start a Project Journal and/or a Photo Journal by clicking on them at the top of the page.

Starting either or both will create a link to them in your posts, at the top opposite side from your screen name. Clicking on that allows the membership to keep track of your progress.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:33 AM

Last photo:

Never pulled a Pontiac manifold off to remove an engine - carburetor and distributor removal is optional on how sloppy you plan to be.

Here's a pic from a couple of years ago of my son pulling his engine. Mainly pulled it to get rid of the wrong engine color from 20 years before we purchased the car, but as long as it was out we "improved" it just a little (little air cleaner in pic is to just keep dirt out until engine is back in the car).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark pulling engine 3.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	47937   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine ready to go back in.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	47938  

Last edited by lust4speed; 09-09-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:42 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

MY "leveler" pulling my old 350,

a 429cj with top loader out of 70 torino, most it has ever pulled, 850lbs+, needs a couple extra arms though, they don;t mind though cause this plate gets passed around a whole bunch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHEVY 036.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	615.7 KB
ID:	47939  
Old 09-09-2010, 12:43 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed
Never pulled a Pontiac manifold off to remove an engine - carburetor and distributor removal is optional on how sloppy you plan to be.
Well, I never pulled a HOOD to remove an engine (post #37), so I suppose you prefer to go through that to removing a carb- which is all I ever did. BTW, this includes G-body, F-body and B-body GM's. So to each their own.

In the case of the OP and his leveler, I'd rather state the options and let him decide. I do not use a leveler, so whether or not it will help to remove the carb or intake remains to be determined by him.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:54 AM

Last photo:

All's good - we develop and adopt our favorite way of doing things.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I got a leveler with the hoist I bought used and have never used it. It's laying in the corner of the garage collecting cob web's. The reason is the carb always got in the way. I've just adjusted the angle by whatever link I hooked the hook too on the chain. Call me lucky but, I dropped the last engine in my truck by myself while my buddy went home to eat lunch. By the time he got back I had the trans bolted up, the headers in place and was bolting up the starter.
Personally, I think levelers are over rated and time consuming.

Cobalt, You don't know what your missing by not removing the hood! The ease of access to the dist. bell housing bolts, and everything else is incredible.
Try it once, you might like it. Takes less time for 4 bolts on the hood than removing the carb and you can install it while it's on the engine stand instead of leaning over the fender.

Last edited by sqzbox; 09-09-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

I remove the carb and hood and use a chain. Removing a hood take two guys all of 2 minutes (if they take their sweet *** time), about the same for a carb, and a chain has "links" which make it "fully adjustable". Hell one time I took the top end off of a short block so me and a buddy could just lift the two parts out of the car- it still only took about an hour (although this was at a junk yard where you can afford to be a little hasty- but we had to use all hand tools, no impact wrench).
Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 AM
WFO

Last photo:

You are talking to someone who has pulled literally hundreds of engines- by myself, mostly. So sorry if I come across as an authority. But I have found there's no need to remove the hood in the majority of cases, and if you're working by yourself, taking the hood off is a PITA.

Now, if that's how YOU prefer to do it, like lust4speed aptly said, "...we develop and adopt our favorite way of doing things." But it is just not how I prefer to do it. And I have done it both ways.

What I DID say, was that if you prefer to remove the hood, just be sure to mark the hinge location for an easier reassembly.

Last edited by cobalt327; 09-09-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

I have seen a lot of pictures of engines that are ready to be dropped into cars, and most have the headers attached. If I am taking the headers off to get the engine out, should I just leave them in the car for the installation?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
What I DID say, was that if you prefer to remove the hood, just be sure to mark the hinge location for an easier reassembly.
Yeah, that's a gimmie! Failure to do that shows "absence of forthought" and one probably has no business being under one in the first place. I just remove it because I'm a lazy mechanic and it get's in the way of my 6'4" frame. I've got the dent's on my head to prove it!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:38 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam83
I have seen a lot of pictures of engines that are ready to be dropped into cars, and most have the headers attached. If I am taking the headers off to get the engine out, should I just leave them in the car for the installation?
You can. I believe you would have a difficult time dropping the engine in w/the headers attached- likely it wouldn't work, period.

If you leave the exhaust pipes and all connected to the headers, wire the headers as far to the side and out of the way as you can. Fortunately the Pontiac angles the exhaust ports downwards, so it is a little easier.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.