Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Just bought a new compressor--how bad did I do? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/just-bought-new-compressor-how-bad-did-i-do-129139.html)

superkaz661 11-30-2007 11:12 PM

Just bought a new compressor--how bad did I do?

So I was walking the aisles of Costco today and something just jumped onto my flat truck. And by "jumped", I mean picked up and placed there by me.

Bought their "Master Power" by "Cooper Tools" compressor. The thing is supposed to be rated for 5.6 cfm @ 90 and 6.8 @ 40psi.

Essentially, I am picking this up for one job and one job only. I getting it to power This HVLP gun Thoughts?

The compressor itself is warranted for 3 years, so Im not too worried about it taking a dump two years down the line. Im just not in the place in my life where Im looking to buy a high quality compressor right now (Im still in school and rent a house that doesnt have a garage.)

The reason for this guy was that he was cheap ($100), portable, and oiled. The paint project is small and I plan on doing it a body panel at a time. The gun claims it only needs 5cfm at 60psi, so Im hoping this can keep up, but I think it will probably be close. Im hoping that painting a panel at a time will give it time to catch back up.

So, does anyone know anything about Cooper tools or Master Power in general? Or did I just buy a no-name POS? :spank:

Additionally, does anyone have any thoughts on the gun?

Once I get around to it, I'll write a review of the unit if folks are interested.

Cheers.
-Mike

Brian_B 12-01-2007 01:13 AM

No clue about the compressor. The HF gun you linked to is not HVLP. It is gravity feed.

91009-2VGA

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91009

Did you link to the wrong one?

F&J 12-01-2007 05:33 AM

The cfm rating seems really low to me for a general use compressor.

302 Z28 12-01-2007 05:44 AM

CFM rating is too low to be of much use for pneumatic power tools.

Vince

superkaz661 12-01-2007 09:03 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas. But like I said in my post, Im not too concerned that it wont be able to keep up with a large variety of pneumatic tools. Eventually I'll get one that will, but for now, that not this one's job.

This one will only be asked to run the This paint gun I linked to (if its not hvlp, thats ok by me, just as long as it puts down a reasonable paint job) and maybe a framing nailer.

Does anyone have any experience with Cooper tools or Master Power as brands? Though seldom the creme de la creme, Costco does seem to pick fairly good quality merchandise to stock. I'm wondering if this follows suit.

Additionally, I was wondering about thoughts in general on whether a gun like the one I listed (which says it wants 5 cfm at 60 psi) would likely be able to be run by a compressor with the specs I gave above. Thanks :)

oldred 12-01-2007 09:17 AM

That gun is not a HVLP gun as has already been pointed out but it should work ok with that compressor painting small parts, just don't plan on doing a lot of painting at one time. It should be just fine for running a nailer and maybe even an impact wrench in very short bursts but sanders and grinders will be pretty much useless. I know a guy who uses that same gun with a larger compressor to paint farm equipment and it works surprisingly good for what it costs.

superkaz661 12-01-2007 09:27 AM

Thats the reply I was waiting to hear! :) Thanks oldred!

Now, when you say small parts, would that include an MG Midget? :P

She's all in pieces at the moment, which was how I was planning to paint it. The hood is the largest at Im guessing about 10-12 square feet. Any ideas on whether I could paint the hood without having to pause for the compressor to catch up? Im figuring that if the hood can be done, the rest can be done as well as they are all substantially smaller.

This is my first attempt at painting (and restoration generally) so I largely have no idea what Im doing, but I enjoy figuring it out as I go.

Im hoping that I'll be able to spray it with this combo, because if not, its brush and or roller time! And no, sadly Im not kidding.

oldred 12-01-2007 09:41 AM

As long as you are painting just a piece at a time it will probably work ok but that compressor is probably going to be humping trying to keep up so it WILL get hot. That means there is most likely going to be some water to deal with so you best plan on a good separator system and don't just hook a hose to the compressor, if you do you may end up spraying nearly as much water as paint. This has been covered a bunch of times so you could do a search and find out which way would be the best in your case to solve the problem before it happens, should not be at all hard to do nor expensive.

Kampr 12-01-2007 01:55 PM

I painted my son's 64 1/2 Mustang about 10 years or so ago with a Campbell Hausfeld compressor (about the same rating as the one you have) and a Binks non HVLP gun. I did the outside all at one time and it came out rather well. I don't know if I got lucky or if it was just enough for me not to get into trouble. Knowing what I know today though I wouldn't try it again and that's why I have a much more powerful compressor now.

Danny

Brian_B 12-01-2007 03:42 PM

Way back in the days of a siphon feed gun (devilbiss JGA) I painted a couple of cars with a portable compressor. It has (I still have it) a 5 HP briggs gas engine and a 20 gallon tank.

Painting a whole car was interesting. Paint for a few minutes...wait on the compressor (repeat, repeat, repeat-you get the idea). It was really hard on the compressor I am sure, but it worked.

I now have a 60 gallon black max (upright), but I wish it were two stage. Still not enough air for running a DA continuously.

Dugg 12-01-2007 04:26 PM

I'd like a new compressor. The thing I look at is the electric motor powering the compressor. They are typically Emersons with a data tag that says the HP Rating is "SPL". That means the compressor maunfacturer can claim about anything he wants for HP.

I stumbled across a compressor at Homely Depot that had a big sticker on the tank claiming 7.5 peak HP. Interestingly this compressor had the usual Emerson motor but with a data tag that said 5 HP. Hot Compressed Air Sales Pitch.

I'm saving up for something better..... at least until my 30 year old puffer quits. It was smelling a little warm in that area of the garage today. At 8500' most anything will have it's tongue hanging out up here.

superkaz661 12-01-2007 10:24 PM

I just happend to be going to Harbor Freight today to get a warranty replacement for the electric metal shear I bought about two weeks ago. (Snapped the jaw after about 8 inches of cut on 16 gauge mild steel) I'll probably be writing a review of them in the near future, though, since I just had to get a replacement, you can probably guess how thats going to turn out :P

Anyway, I ended up buying this filter/regulator to hopefully deal with the water in the line that oldred was talking about. Is this thing a piece of junk? Im guessing so, but if I can get 15 or so hours of decent use out of it, then Im happy.

As for the compressor, I still havent tried it out yet, and probably wont until summer. I just have nothing to try it on as painting would be a waste due to the temperature.

Once I do try it out though, I will definitely give an update as to its performance. For $100, if it does even a halfway decent job, I'll consider it a bargain.

Cheers.

:)

F&J 12-02-2007 07:04 AM

On that shear; I find it hard to believe that they would rate it at "up to 14 ga mild steel" That's just way too optimistic, or misleading. When that design was first marketed by KETT back in the 70s our hot rod club bought one. I don't recall what the max capicity was, but I doubt it was more than 18 ga. Ours broke when one guy was cutting an old panel off and just barely hit an area that was a lap/double seam. If you get it fixed, I wouldn't use it on anything thicker that 18. JMO. If you have an old fashioned pair of long-handle tin snips, you can get an idea of just how much force it takes to cut 18ga, never mind how tuff 16ga is :D

That drier/regulator should help with some moisture. OldRed was referring to the old threads on this site where you can get info on how to run metal pipes or homemade coolers to eliminate a lot of moisture in very humid conditions. On very humid days the moisture will condense (in large amounts!) in the rubber hose that lays on the cool garage floor as you run the compressor full tilt. After real heavy use on a very humid day, the puddles of water in the line will be too much for any in-line filter type drier like that. It should be OK on dry days.

On the compressor, yes it is marginal but you will know more about it when you get into priming large areas next year. As with anyone on a tight budget, you need to "work with what you got", and try to work around the limitations :cool:

oldred 12-02-2007 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F&J
On that shear; I find it hard to believe that they would rate it at "up to 14 ga mild steel" That's just way too optimistic, or misleading.
That drier/regulator should help with some moisture.

As with anyone on a tight budget, you need to "work with what you got", and try to work around the limitations :cool:

Yep, 14 ga is up in plasma territory or even an Oxy/aceythlene torch with a stepped sheetmetal tip. :)

Also as for working on a tight budget it is sometimes tempting to just tell someone to get a bigger and better compressor, etc, but that is not always an option and I agree that "work with what you got" may be the only option sometimes, assuming the tool/tools can be made to work even if they are not optimal.

66GMC 12-02-2007 10:07 AM

My only comments (ok ... lecture) after reading all of this would be:

1.) It it usually better to ask for purchase advice BEFORE making the purchase. I thought I might make that point as you have done this at least twice in this conversation. :D

2.) That you have bought a compressor that you say you may not even use for 6 months. It may have been wiser to put aside a few dollars per month until you could afford something a bit better?

I know it's hard when you see that florescent green "it's a SALE!!!" price tag ... but almost without exception ... there will be another "SALE" on later, somewhere. :D

Being upset and writing a negative review isn't REALLY fair when you haven't done your research and comparisons ... making sure that the item that you are intending to purchase is designed for and is suited to the task at hand.

Spending the time to be better informed, and spending your money on purchases that you WON'T regret will ultimately make you happier AND save you money in the long run, IMNSHO. (In My Not So Humble Opinion) ;)