Just an example of the "tool trucks" service. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Just an example of the "tool trucks" service.

I don't have a Mac truck coming by here anymore, the guy flaked on us.
The other day my 1/4" ratchet lost a screw. I emailed the company and told them about this and the part number of the tool asking them for a screw. That was about three days ago today I got a whole rebuild kit from them free of charge.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 PM

My Mac guy is young and new. I told him don't expect to make many sales at our shop since we only work on old cars. He told me he acknowledged that and just liked to check out what we were working on at the shop. The Snap-on guy was just a pusher who stopped coming by altogether. When one of my prybars broke, I emailed snap-on and they sent me a new bar, did not even have to send back the old one. I did however still posses the original receipt.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C.
My Mac guy is young and new. I told him don't expect to make many sales at our shop since we only work on old cars. He told me he acknowledged that and just liked to check out what we were working on at the shop. The Snap-on guy was just a pusher who stopped coming by altogether. When one of my prybars broke, I emailed snap-on and they sent me a new bar, did not even have to send back the old one. I did however still posses the original receipt.
In my case I gave them nothing, only the model number of the ratchet. They just sent the rebuild kit out the next day.

Brian
Old 11-05-2011, 11:35 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

i'm not sure if your saying ''tool truck service'' is good or bad. i had the same thing happen to a snap-on ratchet, 2 snap-on guys told me the part wasn't available anymore and did not offer to replace it. granted i bought the ratchet in 73 but this is all i expect from tool trucks anymore. if they don't expect to sell to you again, they won't help out. i didn't think to email snap-on.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
i'm not sure if your saying ''tool truck service'' is good or bad. i had the same thing happen to a snap-on ratchet, 2 snap-on guys told me the part wasn't available anymore and did not offer to replace it. granted i bought the ratchet in 73 but this is all i expect from tool trucks anymore. if they don't expect to sell to you again, they won't help out. i didn't think to email snap-on.
LOLOL, very good point. I was more showing how the tool COMPANIES represented by those trucks are better than the cheapie tool companies.

The old ratchets had the straight blade screws and were much smaller. Personally I like the older ratchets myself as they are smaller and fit into tighter spaces. I bought one of those old 1/4" ratchets off the SnapOn dealer a few years ago just for that reason. It was used and got a killer deal.

This Mac 1/4" ratchet is from my garage at home and it too is the older, non-sealed smaller one. Mac too went to a larger, sealed unit and they have torx or allen screws like SnapOns newer sealed, larger ones. So this kit they sent was the old style for a ratchet they don't sell anymore. You may just be able to get the kit from SnapOn for yours.

Brian
Old 11-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

Can anyone buy from a truck or do you have to be a shop or work at a shop?
Old 11-05-2011, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

God yes anyone can buy, setting up an account may be a different story but anyone can buy. On those accounts, those guys give them with no credit check or collateral. You can imagine how many get ripped off. I have seen a number of guys leave shops I have worked in and the tool guy never finds them to pay their balance. It is a real "gentlemen's" agreement.

Brian
Old 11-05-2011, 05:47 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
LOLOL, very good point. I was more showing how the tool COMPANIES represented by those trucks are better than the cheapie tool companies.
actually the three posts above mine we an indication of how screwed you are if the tool truck doesn't stop at your door.
if you don't have an account or owe money to the tool man you need to go direct to the company.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:43 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

thanks to the tech who's greatly indebted to the snap on guy he comes around every week to collect and asks, "how's it going?" It's just small talk and I instantly reply that I need something or I don't, screw the small talk.
I wish it were a mac guy instead. They make good stuff that's not a million dollars. My 1/4" and 3/8" mac air ratchets are amazing. No signs of slowing down but I do oil them everyday. My 1/4" is the one with a flat head and it only cost me $60 new!!! I tend to know the online prices of what I need beforehand so when I ask them the price I don't pay x3 more and be pissed when I get home and find it much cheaper on line.

As for buying those $10 k tool boxes, you either gotta be single, stupid, or drive a ****ty car and are ok with becoming a slave to your tool box. No thank you. I want to pay for it upfront and no more than $1000.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

Tool truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69
thanks to the tech who's greatly indebted to the snap on guy he comes around every week to collect and asks, "how's it going?" It's just small talk and I instantly reply that I need something or I don't, screw the small talk.
I wish it were a mac guy instead. They make good stuff that's not a million dollars. My 1/4" and 3/8" mac air ratchets are amazing. No signs of slowing down but I do oil them everyday. My 1/4" is the one with a flat head and it only cost me $60 new!!! I tend to know the online prices of what I need beforehand so when I ask them the price I don't pay x3 more and be pissed when I get home and find it much cheaper on line.

As for buying those $10 k tool boxes, you either gotta be single, stupid, or drive a ****ty car and are ok with becoming a slave to your tool box. No thank you. I want to pay for it upfront and no more than $1000.
when I worked at the body shop, we had a mac dealer come there until he couldn't make enough to keep going, so he arranged to have his truck stolen, he got caught.

I had a sears 1/2" ratchet that went belly up, took it down to sears they handed me a new one, mine was 40 years old, the looks and handle had change, never said a word just got the new one.

Bob
Old 11-12-2011, 06:11 PM

tool truck service

When I left the Army in 1970, I bought Sears, biggest tool set available at the time. In all this time, whenever I break a part or strip one, I just go to my Sears store and they give me a replacement, free of charge, no questions asked. On the trucks sometimes they tell me they have to order me one and then charge me shipping charges.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:02 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
when I worked at the body shop, we had a mac dealer come there until he couldn't make enough to keep going, so he arranged to have his truck stolen, he got caught.

I had a sears 1/2" ratchet that went belly up, took it down to sears they handed me a new one, mine was 40 years old, the looks and handle had change, never said a word just got the new one.

Bob
I love that about Craftsman. No receipt, nothing.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

Did you know that Sears has the same warrantee for just about everything they sell? "Satisfaction guaranteed" I believe it's still on the door as you enter. My sister used to work there years ago and worked in the returns dept. She said there were MANY people who took advantage of this guarantee. How about buying and returning dresses and outfits after a couple of weeks, over and over and over and over! Yes, the women would have a rotating wardrobe! How about people returning artificial Christmas trees after Christmas!

They do have a good warranty that is for sure.

Brian
Old 11-13-2011, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

Tool trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Did you know that Sears has the same warrantee for just about everything they sell? "Satisfaction guaranteed" I believe it's still on the door as you enter. My sister used to work there years ago and worked in the returns dept. She said there were MANY people who took advantage of this guarantee. How about buying and returning dresses and outfits after a couple of weeks, over and over and over and over! Yes, the women would have a rotating wardrobe! How about people returning artificial Christmas trees after Christmas!

They do have a good warranty that is for sure.

Brian
Brian I like that about the Christmas Tree, it's called putting it back in storage.

Bob
Old 11-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Another vote for Craftsman and their no questions asked guarantee.

Ultrapro (Canadian NAPA) used to be the same way. It seems that in recent years, however, there are more and more "warranty codes". An 8" bench vice, for example, carries zero warranty. Really? How many vices actually go bad?

We ended up having the replacement parts (outer jaw and threaded insert for the clamping screw) shipped to us at no cost, but the freight was on our dime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0400 (Medium).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	59719   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0403 (Medium) (2).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	59720   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0401 (Medium).JPG
Views:	76
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	59721  

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.