Just a few oil questions: - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned User

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just a few oil questions:

1) Has anyone used/can i use Royal Purple XPR in a street car? Note: i think xpr is marketed as a "racing oil." Specifically 5W-30 or 10W-30

2) Has anyone used/can i use Valvoline VR1 racing oil in a street car. Specifically 5W-30 or 10W-30.

NOTE: i have chosen to continue to live in the stone age and own nothing but Flat lifter engines. The above 2 oils have sufficient ZDDP for these engines, hence my asking of the 2 questions above.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Using straight 50 VR1 in my old GMC med. duty dump truck with a 427 tall deck. I twist the Tar out of her. Flat tappet '75 truck engine with a bazillion miles. Still pulls like a train. You should have no problems with the VR1, IMO.

Have no exp with the syn oil mentioned.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:18 PM

Just a few oil questions:

I think this article will answer your question about Valvoline oil. Valvoline.com > FAQs > Motor Oil Car FAQs > Racing Oil. I have heard the only reason you can't use the racing oil in street cars is that it destroys the catylatic converter.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
I think this article will answer your question about Valvoline oil. Valvoline.com > FAQs > Motor Oil Car FAQs > Racing Oil. I have heard the only reason you can't use the racing oil in street cars is that it destroys the catylatic converter.
yup lawyer ese . so no one can hold r/p liable for emission parts failure. and keep the feds at bay.. no different than most speed parts that say not for hyway use..
Old 11-24-2012, 06:55 AM

Valvoline VR1 Racing oil requires changing more often even though racing oil does not darken as fast as high detergent motor oil.

Detergent and dispersing agents that are added to regular motor oil will attach to carbon particles smaller than 5 microns and will hold them in suspension so they can be removed by the oil filter. When using low detergent racing oil, particles smaller than 5 microns are not removed by the oil filter and are deposited on the internal engine parts to eventually form varnish. Racing oil should not be used in a daily driver with the normal oil change intervals.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 AM

Last photo:

"Valvoline VR1 Racing oil requires changing more often even though racing oil does not darken as fast as high detergent motor oil. "

I disagree, I have used the Valvoline racing oil since it came in cases like this.

It keeps the inside of the engines I have worked on clean, but I change it when I should.
I also let the oil drain overnight so I do not leave about a half quart of dirty oil in the engine.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

What oil ?

Tried all brands of oil in 12 years of drag racing = Castrol wins.
I am not a oil-additive believer.
Jim, School of Hot Rod Hard Knocks, 1957
Old 11-24-2012, 10:11 AM

I switched from Gulf Oil Co., Gulfpride 10W-30 to Valvoline Racing oil in 1964. I was sitting under a shade tree in September 1964 at Green Valley Raceway in Fort Worth Texas and having this same discussion with the late Dick Landy. He explained to myself and several others at that time why he used Valvoline Racing oil in his Dodge Hemi Super Stock racing engines. The reason was mainly because of the high anti-foaming qualities of Valvoline Racing Oil. The anti-foaming agent is silicon which is 20 PPM in Valvoline Racing oil which prevents metal to metal contact at high RPM. From that day 48 years ago, I have been using Valvoine Racing Oil in every one of my pre-1969 high performance street and race cars. Maverick Racing used Valvoine Racing oil in our Junior Fuel (aka, C/FD) 355 CI Chevy sling-shot (front engine) dragster.

In comparison to Valvoline Racing Oils 20 PPM silicon content, Castrol Racing oil has 5 PPM and Royal Purple has 9 PPM silicon content, as an anti-foaming agent. You can see why most racing teams use Valvoline Racing Oil although their major sponsor may be another oil company.

Valvoline Tech Support recommends that their Valvoline Racing oil should be changed every 500 miles due to the lack of detergent and dispersant additives. We changed the Valvoline Racing Oil between each 1/4 mile run in the dragster because of the 90% nitromethane 10% methanol fuel we used.

Last edited by MouseFink; 11-24-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.