Just finished a horse trailer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2014, 07:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just finished a horse trailer

Just finished this 2-horse trailer for my dad. Been sitting around here for several years, but finally started on it at the end of April and sent it home a few weeks ago. Put new tires and spare on it, all new wiring for lights and brakes, rust removal and replacement (16 gauge steel--sucked to fabricate but awesome to weld because it doesn't warp very easily). Had to cut off and fabricate the inner and outer door bottoms because they were completely rotted out. Wanting some heavy duty industrial finishes, I also wanted to do some experimentation here and went all Mastercoat.

I sandblasted off all the rust, then treated bare spots with the Mastercoat Metal Prep and then gave it two coats of Silver and then two coats of AG2000 red.

I initially started with the AG111 red, did a test spray on the roof and it exploded into fish eyes. I called Pat and we tried several things and didn't fix it so I tried AG2000 red and sprayed out very nicely. So he sent out more of the 2000 so I could finish the job.

The AG2000 red is a single stage very high in solids. I reduced it ~25% and used just half a quart to get complete coverage on the first coat.

On the second coat I reduced it more and used ~1.5 quarts, spraying it on a little heavier than the first. Also used more because I was spraying the doors inside and out. So I sprayed an entire horse trailer and used about 2 quarts.

One thing I will say here is the AG2000 was extremely resilient to adverse and non-ideal situations and set ups. My dessicant got completely saturated before the spray was done, and I even saw water bubbling out of my air line by the gun, but never had a fish eye. There was even water in the bottom of the regulator (after the water trap and dessicant in my line). Of course this isn't ideal and after I changed out the dessicant I also added on my dessicant hose to finish out the job, but I was pretty surprised the paint didn't start telling me it didn't like the air I was giving it. It flowed out very well and no runs.

We then gave it a good test and took it on a 7.5 hr haul at 70 mph on the interstate from Michigan to Iowa, and then down a few miles of gravel roads and had no chips.

I'm not going to lie, this was a lot of trigger time and a lot of my time, and as happy as I was to get it out of my life, I was also sad to see it go because it looked damn good and I was quite pleased with my job However the most gratifying part was the look on my dad's face when he first saw it, I don't think he thought it would come out that well and honestly I didn't either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	731.7 KB
ID:	159361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	848.8 KB
ID:	159369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0642.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	653.0 KB
ID:	159377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	159385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0670.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	159393  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Just some more pics of the finished product. I wanted to polish the trim but ran out of time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0675.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	662.8 KB
ID:	159401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	702.7 KB
ID:	159409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	159417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	159425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	159433  

Old 07-06-2014, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

These were the bottoms of the doors I redid.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	706.5 KB
ID:	159441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	718.4 KB
ID:	159449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0535.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	902.3 KB
ID:	159457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg
Size:	895.1 KB
ID:	159465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	159473  

Old 07-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Looks good. They really don't need to look that good you know, there going to be full of crap and smelly after the first transport.. I finished my sisters horse trailer for her a few weeks ago.. She really just needed to replace it but the money wasn't there for that, so we bought the steel and re structured the frame, put new wood in the floor and rewired it. Still looks like a pile of trash, and we finished it the day before she needed to transport her horse to a clinic with it.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167 View Post
Looks good. They really don't need to look that good you know, there going to be full of crap and smelly after the first transport.. I finished my sisters horse trailer for her a few weeks ago.. She really just needed to replace it but the money wasn't there for that, so we bought the steel and re structured the frame, put new wood in the floor and rewired it. Still looks like a pile of trash, and we finished it the day before she needed to transport her horse to a clinic with it.
Of course it needs to look good; I did it for my dad. They really aren't full of crap and smelly. They make a pile of poo right at the back by the door and you scoop it up. I don't pull my horses around in a trash trailer, don't want the same for my dad either. He might sell this trailer as he might sell his horses. If he does sell, this will help with the value for sure.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The trailer looks really good.. Might even help the horse run faster..

Sam
Old 07-06-2014, 11:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
Of course it needs to look good; I did it for my dad. They really aren't full of crap and smelly. They make a pile of poo right at the back by the door and you scoop it up. I don't pull my horses around in a trash trailer, don't want the same for my dad either. He might sell this trailer as he might sell his horses. If he does sell, this will help with the value for sure.
Yea. I know where your coming from.. My sisters trailer is safe for transporting her horses, we just didn't do anything for exterior cosmetics. I wouldn't have signed off on something unsafe.. I wanted to redo the entire trailer over and make it really nice, but the condition of the trailer was cost prohibitive since it was not built to be taken apart. ( sandwiched plywood behind sheetmetal ) and the frame had badly rotten crossmembers that we had to replace, I used 2x3 tubing rather than the stamped C channel the factory used..... We didn't have time to put the mats down for first use in the trailer, so all the wood turned black in the rear. Pressure washed it, but it still stayed discolored.

I was joking about the crappy and smelly trailer... Actually your trailer is the first horse trailer I've ever seen taken back to basically better than new condition. Never seen one that old, that straight.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
Good job glad your father was happy with it
Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

nice work. Now we just need to get microfibers for them clumsy horses.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.