Just the Fuse Block & Terminals Needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 09:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just the Fuse Block & Terminals Needed

I'm going to be doing my own wiring.

Can you recommend a source for just the fuse block and block terminals/connectors?

Now this next line should bring some chuckles.....

I'm going to do all my wiring in one color wire.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Last photo:

You can just buy a fuse panel from several source, Painless is but one. How many circuits are you needing?

Vince
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 AM
boatbob2

fuse block........

go to the bone yard and take your pick,i think MAYBE you are a glutton for punishment,or you have a screw loose,WHY,would you even consider wiring with only 1 color wire..??????????..i can forsee a nightmare down the road,but,wait until you try to sell the vehicle...all car manufacturers put different color wires in their cars for a reason....
Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Last photo:

These are cheap priced but they work. I've used them several times with no problems. Click on the (Red)-Select Options button for higher # of circuits.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/FUSE_BLOCK_...;0;2005172;0;0

Free Shipping, any Order, ends Midnight tonight Thursday Promo code (SAVENOW)

Last edited by SSedan64; 12-03-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:22 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

hmm a buddy of mine knew a color blind guy who wired up a vehicle with all the same color wire. true story.
it was a long time ago though.
this thread is amusing
Old 12-03-2009, 01:40 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

blank stare maybe , chuckles no...
Old 12-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rotor Flap
I'm going to be doing my own wiring.

Can you recommend a source for just the fuse block and block terminals/connectors?

Now this next line should bring some chuckles.....

I'm going to do all my wiring in one color wire.

Thanks for your help.
Please do not do this!!!!! You will come to regret it. I used to be the irrigation supervisor for a sod farm . One of the older irrigation pivots that was used to water the sod was wired in one color of wire. All of the wire in the control box and all of the spans out to the end gun were the same color.It was a total pia to check out,repair or trouble shoot,and it was forever having problems. To check anything you had to trace one wire at a time. I danced all over the place when I found out that hurricane Ivan blew it down.
Kenny
Old 12-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Not the best idea.

But if you are going to do it just a couple of tips for you. If you have to buy the wire use a couple different sizes. Run the wire so that the writing on it goes is different directions. This should help with the trouble shooting.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

Well.........Do I detect a hint of opposition to this idea? I would advise anyone thinking of doing this in the same way... Don't!

Granted my drag bike had much less wiring, just the usual package of electronics, timers, indicators, switches, counters, lights and the other stuff they never saw.... oops, strike that last part. It was all one color. No problems.

The auto-pilot in my plane had all one color wiring with two out of about eighteen wires with color tracers.

I can recall back in high school - yup, sereral decades ago.. a pal spray painted his whole engine compartment some dopey metalic gold. I asked him how he expected to find electrical problems? A blank stare followed by a problem a few weeks later. Lots of laughs from that one.

You'd think I would have learned from him.... Hmmmm. Several people call me crazy but few call me stupid......... well, for the most part that is.

Ready, Fire, Aim

Thanks guys.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

if you like this fuse panel, send me a message and I will hook you up. the center large wire feeds the panel, the fuses are not installed in this pic yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	42334  
Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 PM

Last journal entry: A/C compressor braket continued
Last photo:

I am planning something similar. I haven't ordered the stuff yet but I have found good pricing at Delcity.com, JMproducts.com, and JT&TProducts.com. (Sorry, I'm not sure how to make these a link, but if you Google GXL or SXL wire you'll find all the stuff you're looking for).

My plan is to replace any 16 ga with 14 ga. and use 10ga instead of 12ga.
I can buy a 500 foot roll of GXL (Black) for $34, 100' of 14 ga (white) for $9 and 100" roll of 10 ga (red) for $30. I have a fuse block and relays from the donor car. So, the harness will be about $74 instead of $150 -$200 for a basic universal harness.

I will label each end of the wires and use clear shrink tubing to seal the label and the terminal or connector.

Black wire is also easier to hide than the multi-colored stuff. At the LA Roadster show, I have seen all black harnesses for those who are concerned about hiding the wires (or maybe for those too cheap to buy colored wire).

Of course, in 5 years or so I might be wishing I had color coded wiring.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Last photo:

Some of the first wiring kits to hit the market had all black wires. To do that type of wiring today is counter productive. If you need to hide wiring there are easier ways to do than making all your wiring black

Vince
Old 12-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Last journal entry: A/C compressor braket continued
Last photo:

I don't see any thing productive or counter-productive in my case - no one is paying me.
I do see a way to control the quality of the harness, the connections and the wire, while spending a minimum amount of $$$.

I have read nearly the entire thread on selecting wiring harnesses. A lot of guys said they built their own, but none of them explained how or where to get small quantities (15' for instance) of colored cross linked wire at a reasonable price.

Why not buy one color in bulk, take the time to label the wires, and create a harness you're sure about, instead of wondering if someone in Sri Lanka or China miswired your fuse block?

On the other hand, if this was my first wiring attempt, I would buy a pre-wired harness with color coded wires.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ3100
I don't see any thing productive or counter-productive in my case - no one is paying me.
I do see a way to control the quality of the harness, the connections and the wire, while spending a minimum amount of $$$.

I have read nearly the entire thread on selecting wiring harnesses. A lot of guys said they built their own, but none of them explained how or where to get small quantities (15' for instance) of colored cross linked wire at a reasonable price.

Why not buy one color in bulk, take the time to label the wires, and create a harness you're sure about, instead of wondering if someone in Sri Lanka or China miswired your fuse block?

On the other hand, if this was my first wiring attempt, I would buy a pre-wired harness with color coded wires.
There is nothing wrong with all one color wiring.......... as long as it labeled at each end clearly and permanently .I was a avonics tech (electronic/electrician) working in civil service for the Navy all aircraft are wired in one color (white) but they have a series of numbers/letters that tells you what system it is,what sub system and wire gauge . This works fine. but because it is one color you still have to hunt tru the wires to find the one you are looking for. Multiple color wire make it so much easier to find the wire you are looking for.
In my first post about the irrigation pivot none of the wire was labeled. Made it hell to trouble shoot.
Good Luck!
Kenny
Lost your job yet? Keep buying foreign
Old 12-04-2009, 09:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby1
There is nothing wrong with all one color wiring..........
The wiring in your house is all one color...

This is common in the aerospace industry since the MIL-SPEC wire comes in limited colors (like white only). You can get shrink tubing that is configured on a holder that allows you to print on the tubing with a laserjet. Simply create circuit labels, shrink in place at each end, and you're done.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.