Just got a flattie for my P/U - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2003, 02:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Just got a flattie for my P/U

Just got a '35 flat head Ford to put in my '23 C-Cab ford. The motor is complete carb wires, gen, starter fuel pump. Also has the transmission and the guy even threw in the radiator. He told me I should be able to put some gas to it and a battery and start it. Said it ran goodwhen he swapped it out for a bigger one. The best part was the price $free! From a friend at work. Santa was good to me today.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2003, 02:40 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Walker, sounds like a fun project. If the old flattie does not fire up immediately, there a couple of "usual suspects" to check out before you get too excited. First, the old evaporated gasoline leaves a film that tends to glue the float needle closed and the fuel pump will not break it loose. Take off the top of the old Stromberg (hopefully) and make sure it is free, Most likley you will need to clean out the float bowl while you are in there. I would then fill it with gasoline before replacing the top. Second, remove the top of you fuel pump (yep, they are rebuildable) and free up the two little chec valves that are in there. be careful not to move the old diaphragm too much. I also woud splash a little fuel around in there while the top is off. Now if it will not start and you know you are getting fuel and fire to the plugs, the old valves could well be stuck in the heads. Things are getting a little more serious now: Remove all the plugs and fill the chambers with Marvel Mystery Oil and also pour some down the carb after you have put the plugs back in. Wait about three days, remove the plugs and crank the moter over several times to blow out the excess MM Oil and give the valves a chance to break loose. You can do a compression check at this point to see how sucessful you have been. If this does not work, Its head removal time so get yourself a good engine kit and go to work.

Trees
Old 08-30-2003, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Let's see ... you're really just posting this to make us green with envy? Maybe to kick a little sand?? I remember cruising the local junk yard in the early 1960s and seeing lots of flatties just lying around. Wish I had picked up everyone and stored them in my parent's barn!!!

Way to go, dood!!
Old 08-30-2003, 07:36 PM

GREAT TO SEE

there are flathead fans out there. Just a sweet motor. A great traditional hotrod motor. But, before you get to excited you may want to investigate this further. The 35 is not realy a great hotrod motor. Ask around and you'll discover the46-48 is the one you really want. Speed parts are hard to get for that motor. Not much good about the 35 actually. Unless you doing a resto. Too much to say about flats here so criuse the net and u'll see what i mean.
Man, i haven't seen a C cab in a long time, great to see a traditonal rod being built.
Just love a well built flatty.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.