Just got a Lincoln 100T MIG - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 10:32 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just got a Lincoln 100T MIG

Just got a Lincoln 100T MIG and it is a great welder. I bought it for welding bike frames in my shop. I had never MIG welded before. It was so easy! The guy at my local welding place was very helpful in setting it up for me and let me lay a few welds down before I bought it. It was very easy to setup. I got it for $427.00 with the tank. It is a factory refurbish with the 3yr warranty. You can get them cheaper on eBay. It has four settings for heat and infinite settings for wire speed. It comes with a chart in the inside panel that helps you pic the speed and heat, but that may not be the best so you just have to play around with it.

So I would recommend this to anyone who is a first time MIG welder. I had torch welded before, but that just took so long to make a frame.(and I burnt myself alot ). With the MIG I cut the time in half. This welder made me feel that MIG welding is just a Piece of cake.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a good little MIG welder

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Mr 1984

The biggest problem with MIG and beginner MIG welding is that your weld can look very sweet but the penetration can be minimal. Best thing to do is practice on some scrap and test it. Get some pieces that's similar to what you normally weld and try and break your welds. Other than that, MIG is nice!
Old 09-01-2006, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

Crank, The biggest problem with these little MIGs is "cold lapping" because of the small wire, low current and the heat sink effect of the base metal if it is much thicker than about 1/16". The weak weld results from the heat energy being absorbed too quickly by the base due to this heat sink effect resulting in a "cold" bead that has little penetration (melting of the base metal) and thermal shock induced stresses to both the weld bead and underlying base. This is why I recommend some type of preheating on base metal much over 1/16" unless it is a really small part, about 350-400 deg is about right (just too hot to touch with a bare hand). Contrary to popular belief this, if properly done, will not lead to increased warping or overheating of the metal but it will however solve a very common and all too often overlooked problem.

Edit, I meant say much over 3/16" not 1/16" In most cases it is unnecessary and not a good idea to attempt to preheat metal less than 3/16"

Last edited by oldred; 09-01-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:19 AM

The more you weld, the better you'll get, but let me tell you this, if you previously did all of your welding with a torch, I guarantee you that you'd be a really good TIG welder. Thats an art that most people really have to work at to get good. And about the Lincoln wire speed/heat chart I know what you mean about it not being quite right. I have a Lincoln Powermig 255 and I noticed that the wire speed seems a bit fast for the suggested heat range. Instead of slowing the wire down, usually I try to turn the heat up to prevent the cold lapping that the other post mentioned. I've had my machine for about 10 years and have used it hard with no problems at all. Lincoln is a good machine.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:14 AM

Last photo:

Ram, You are right on about the torch and TIG skills and in fact I always like to see a beginning welder start out with a torch before anything else, especially TIG. Learning to torch weld teaches the basics better than any other method and helps the welder understand exactly what is happening during the process. The transition from torch to TIG is a lot easier because of the similarities between the processes which makes the torch a great first step. I have known a great many welders, some with years of experience, that don't have a clue as to what is really happening when they strike that arc and most of these guys had not yet mastered the torch.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

This just in:

I noticed that I had been going throgh alot of gas for the short amount of time Ive had the welder. So I sprayed soapy water on the fittings and sure enough they had leaks. Both of them! So I had to tighten them up alot.(they were already pretty tight) When I looked at the male fitting on the hose the end looked a little wavey. So those of you with lincoln welders I would suggest checking those fittings.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:47 PM
here to learn

Last journal entry: finishing up the skirts
Last photo:

when your done welding, look at the other side of the welds to see how much HAZ (heat affected zone) you have. if your safety depends on your welds, practice as much as you can. test your welds too. if your going to weld some 10ga, get some extra and see how you need to set your welder (voltage and federate) maybe weld a small piece and put it on a vise and see if you can pull it apart. good luck guy

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.