Just got my car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2004, 02:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Smile Just got my car

Just took delivey of my car.....a 1937 Olds four door Model 37 with a 350, auto and a camero rear end. Front suspension remains stock. It's going to need some wiring (dash) and some TLC on the (both interrior and exterior). My goal would be to have it pass NSRA safety inspection.

I knew my experience, knowledge base and tool inventory was not up to the task of building a street rod from scratch so I started with a "fixer upper"......sort of along the lines of "This Old Car".

I've learned so much already reading the posts and the archieves. But I do have a couple of questions; first, since you don't see too many 37 Olds street rods, what you recommend for a dash insert for the gauges (still has stock gauges, none functional). Wold I be better off purchasing a Five Guage (mechanical) set and fabricating a gauge cluster from wood or sheet metal? Or, an insert from a 39 Chevy looks like it might fit or with minor modifications.

Second, othr than rechroming, what are my options for the grill, door handles and tail lights (they are pitted and have been painted with silver paint? The bumper have already been done.

Thank you in advance for your input and ideas.

Big_Al

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 06:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Congrats on your new purchase.

If it were me I'd make a custom wood dash insert and use aftermarket gauges. When it comes to the grill, if it's really pitted bad then I'd paint it body color. If not it can be re-chromed and look pretty good. The door handles can be eliminated and you can go with electric door openers or you can adapt a mechanism from almost any other car. I used Mazda Miata door handles on my 53 pickup. It's not that difficult to do. I would suggest swapping out the stock strikers and latch assemblies just for safety anyway. Go with a modern bear claw type to ensure the door won't come open in an accident.

Good luck

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com
Old 02-20-2004, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

I made my own dash using the outside edges of the original. I made an aluminum insert, I think wood would be even easier to work with?

What are you going to run for wiring BigAl_50? Painless, Ron Francis, or...? Any ideas yet? Make your own?

I love the "off brand cars", a 1937 Olds is an awesome ride!!!!!
Any pics?!?!?

I hate to admit it, but when I need something for my cars that I can't seem to find anywhere, something usually pops up on..... (hides face) ....... EBAY!!!!!!
I found an NOS trunklid for my 1940 Plymouth Coupe, never been mounted, primed, or anything.
I'm sure you can find Olds stuff, it just takes a longer "look" than the Ford guys take?
Old 02-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:

BigAl, great ride, throw some pics at us and let us all enjoy.

Your not going to find much aftermarket stuff, yet like Crazy Mopar guy said, you'll find stuff when your not expecting.

Take a look at some of these, they may give you more ideas, they are taken from the search mode for "dash":

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php...highlight=dash

Dutch
Old 02-22-2004, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Thanks fotr the iinput and ideas; I'll keep you posted on the progress. Here is the first picture i put in the photo album.

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showph...at=3054&page=1

Thanks,
Big Al
Old 02-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Looks nice. You appear to have wood running boards. How do you like them? I have to remake mine. I'm going to use 20 gauge steel. They're (the old runnung boards) are completely shot.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.