Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Just Got My Head Back - Should I Be P****d??
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_8u View Post
hcompton - the valves are all the same length and diameter

It's just the shape of them that's different

The guy told me the valves I had are terrible and that he would throw them all away and replace them with new/better flowing ones

But now I find I've got my original valves with only two replacement ones which don't match

My original valves are readily available
Should I do a leak test assuggested, and if all is well, replace the mismatched valves with the same ones I had to begin with?
Yes always make sure they dont leak. I just use solvent and hold the valves down with my thumb unless they are already built. Usally they seal up with little to no pressure. If you have a parts washer that is perfect for checking the valves. they may leak some machineist just cut them and figure the spring slamming the valve shut will force it to seal up. I only use this methid if the valves are cut to 46 degrees and seats at 45 they will usally seal up once they have pressure on them.

Your old valves were probably cut to fit into the head deeper. The newer valves sit higher on the seat. Once they are cut a few times they will sink down so this is why they are longer and shorter but all the same tip height.

It aint perfect but i am hoping it was a cheap deal. If you paid for all new valves and got only two i would think the machine shop was confused and only charged for valve job and two valves. Not a full on rebuild with new seats and valves.

The seats are nomraly very close together with 2.02 valves and 64 cc heads. That is the way gm did things back then.