Hot Rod Forum banner

Just Got My Head Back - Should I Be P****d??

9K views 63 replies 12 participants last post by  ant_8u 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

I've just got my cylinder head back from being worked on and I'm a little uncertain on a few things

I've taken some (bad) pictures and I need your input

Here goes......

The first six pictures are of the chambers, and show how close the inlet and exhaust valves are to each other

Notice how on some of the chambers the seats actually overlap each other.....Is this ok or should I be worried?

(the head is cast iron and it has had inserts fitted to the exhaust to allow the engine to be run on unleaded fuel)

The next five pictures hopefully show the varying depths the seats have been cut into the head

Should they all be flush with the chamber, or does it not matter that some are recessed?

The next picture shows the original inlet valve next to the new (mismatched) valve

The original valves are 65g in weight even when covered in carbon
The new valves are 70g and have a different shape to them

Note - he has only replaced two of the inlet valves with these heavier valves

The new valves have been fitted into the chambers which have had their seats cut deeper than the others

I'm thinking he's obviously fitted these valves because he's cut the seats too deep?

The last two pictures are both of the same chamber
I have taken one picture with one of the original valves in it, and then another picture with the new (heavier & different shaped) valve in it

I don't know if you cam make it out from the picture, but the original valve sits further into the seats than the new valve does

How right am I to be worried about any of this?

I'm pretty pissed that the head came back covered in old paint and carbon, but I can sort that out myself

What I really need help with is knowing whether the machining is good or not, and why are there different valves in the chambers with the recessed seats?

(I can't contact the guy until tomorrow, so I need your input before then so I know what to say to him - if it's even a problem)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.