Hot Rod Forum banner

Just installed Summits street & strip carb SBF

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tapkoote 
#1 ·
Among other things, I just put on a new carb and intake.
So far I'de recommend this carb as plug and play. I haven't thrashed it, but it was 99.9% out of the box. Had to lower both floats and I lowered the fast idle and raised the curb idle. Now I've got the timing right, I need to reverse that part.
Found it was leaking gas from the throttle shaft. From my trials with the 4100, I figured it was the floats. Shure enough.
But it seems to be as advertised. I called the tech line about re-jetting, before I put it on. He said, bore, stroke, compression don't mean as much as sea level. They're set for sea level and I'm at 410 feet. Seems fine, but I haven't whacked it hard yet. You can see the float level in the sight gauge just in front of the choke box.
I'm running 6 psi. on a 331 W/ 9.5:1.-E303 cam

#4 ·
Should mention a few weeks back I put a new carb on my 351C Mach 1
Went to buy a Holley 750 and the guy talked me into a Quick Fuel Slayer Carb.
750, Dual Feed, Elec Choke, takes all Holley replacement parts. I figured it was worth a try and since you can buy a Brand New one for under 300.00 I couldnt resist. I was very impressed with it and didnt need to touch it, it was perfect straight out of the box. Car was way to slow for me so I just sold it, on it's way to France as we speak

I love the sound of yours :thumbup: sound similar to my ProStreet Ranger.
That has a Ford Racing Boss 345 Fully Forged Motor in it.

#5 ·
an update

SBF 331, 9 1/2:1 E303 cam, factory tube shorty headers.
Finally got at dialing in this carb. It wasn't exactly plug and play. And I'll install an O2 sensor in a week or so, to get a better picture.
The only carbs I've swapped before were stock replacements on stock motors. The only tuning I've done was on motor cycles. As it turns out carbs are basically all the same, start, idle, primary and secondary. Some are more tunable than others.
I did have to do my home work and with the help of the guys here:thumbup: I'm set for now.
The top of the carb comes off and the jets are in the bottom of the bowl, easy to get to, the only gas you drain
is the feed lines.
The primary jets came were 67, I'm up to 71's.
The secondary were 73, up to 76 now.
With the 73 secondaries it fell flat on it's nose when punched on a freeway on ramp. And it still popped in the headers when the throttle was chopped. Just not as bad, even thats gone now.
This carb is perfect for a ride that will see 98% of it's time on the street.
The O2 sensor I've got is basic, I'm going to run a camera, an try to catch the tac, vacuum guage and O2 widgit. I'll post it if it works.
Thanks again for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.