Just to let you guys know.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 07:32 PM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just to let you guys know....

That this isnt a real important thread, lol, but I've been doing the body work on my chevelle lately since I now work for my uncle at his shop. I'm actually putting the time and effort into this ride, unlike all my other projects that I always ditched for the next cool idea. I'm psyched. He's been showing me a lot of cool stuff, and tricks of the trade they never tought me at body school back a few years back.

The whole plan is to completely document every single thing I do to the car, Take pictures, and organize them on my hard drive (and my server, and a dvd in case of loss). Also to take note of how much time was spent.

This way I can go back and look at the process, and tally up how many hours actually went into this car.

I already know I got a lot of hours just in the roof and left quarter alone blocking them out.

Here's a few pics of what Ive been doing. Just a sampler, when it's done, I'll make a huge project journal, I'll probably host it from my site, since the origonal pics are so huge. But I'll put a mini version of it on here possibly too, however much I can fit......Either way, enough blabbing, heres what I've been doing over the last few months.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

Your intentions are great!
However, you do have a problem in the making and that is two fold.

One there is too much and to many paint jobs on that quarter and most likely the whole car.
Second with that much paint no doubt the original factory paint is still there
(GM lacquer)
The car needs stripping to do any job that will last or look good when done.

Other than that your really wasting a Noble effort.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:19 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

I would have to agree with Barry for a couple reasons. First, that is a lot of material and second you dont know what is under it do you? I would hate to go through all that work and find out there is filler smeared over rust somewhere. Your material and work is only as good as what its on top of.

I notice your sanding has left some odd patterns in the paint. Was the car striped or something? What are the straight lines across the back?

On a more important note, I knew deep down Budweiser would remove paint !

Good luck, I love those old Chevelles.

Rich
Old 07-19-2005, 08:25 PM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

Ah, thanks for the replys guys, and I understand your comments about the bare metal thing. We contemplated it for a bit, and decided not to go to bare metal for a few reasons. This is not going to be a totally perfect show car first off. But do intend it to be straight as possible. The quarters have been replaced by a previous owner. They did a good job at it too. There was some some crazy 70's flame/stripe job on the car, yes. What you saw that I sanded into is very decieving, cause I actually went very much deeper into it, actualy. I sanded off as much as I could bare too. Everything is still sticking to it very well, so we are just blocking out the material that is there as much as we can.

The hood was unknown what is under there, and is very wavy, and has lots of damage that we need to repair, so we stripped it.

The fenders are off a different car, and we will see what we need to do to them, but from waht we can tell, they have only been painted once since the factory laquer job. Trunk lid will be replace, so will the trunk floor.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.