Just lost my job - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 12:47 PM
She ain't pretty but shes fast

Wiki Edits: 0

Just lost my job

I lost my job last Wed. for no reason. It was totally out of the blue. It was my dream job that I had been trying to get for about 6 years. It was at a little restoration shop here in San Antonio, Tx. On Monday the owner told me that I was a blessing in disguise and on Tuesday he told me that he liked my work and I was working hard. Then I get to work 15 mins early on Wed., and he pulls me aside and tells me that he needs somebody with more mechanical appitude. WHAT???????? So if anybody in San Antonio or surrounding areas is looking for help in a resto or hot rod shop please let me know. Thanks for letting me vent some.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

I hate working for small time guys. Did he run out of work?

Craig
Old 04-18-2006, 03:12 PM

Thanks for your reply. No he had tons of work to be done, and it wasnt major stuff. Just cutting out rusty floors and wiring.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

I had the same issue with a small company guy a couple of years ago. He used to tell me how good I was doing and he didn't mind the overtime I was doing to complete all the service calls each day. Two other service guys quit him, which I should have known something was up from that alone. The next week the Boss told me he was replacing me for someone with more experience and wished me luck. Ha! A week later I went in to get my final check and he asked me to come back, with a raise. I said no and thanked him! The next week I walked into another, better, higher paying job and have been there every since. I wish the same for you Shaggy77. Opportunity is knocking!!! Open the door and good luck!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:24 PM

Thanks

Thanks 73oldsman for your reply. I really hope your right.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:13 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

good luck

I been there done that with "hey your doing a great job & then ***???!

One guy told ne he couldent afford to keep me on & the day before I had to walk past his desk to use the bathroom to find his open check book with over $750,000.00 in it

I packed & never looked back.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 04-19-2006, 01:37 PM

Thanks for your reply. Its just so frustrating.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

hey take the rest of the week off if you can & hit it with a clear sharp mind Monday morning

see my signature

Just in case you want to use this if there is a next time..

"Hey No Problem! I was looking for a Job When I found this one!!!

Depending on your state make sure you head down to the unemployment office!!

R

Old 04-19-2006, 03:03 PM

Thanks

Thank you for your reply Mr. Keller. An I am full of fire (the good kind) and to get a even better job and build my own car, so I can drop by his shop one day and show him my mechanical apptitude.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

You dont have to call me Mr. or Sir I used to work for a living too.

LOL

Keep smiling . . .It makes them wonder what you've been up to

R
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2006, 03:44 PM

Sorry just a habit. But I do thank you for your reply, and I am not going to let them keep me down.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

there was a guy not too far from where I live that had a shop he ran out of his garage at his house, and all he did was allignments, did all the allignments for the Catskill police fleet,and was always backed up a month or so at least, he did only the work he needed to to keep a comfterble living, scheduled his appointments around that, he only did a few allignments a day, after that, he did whatever he liked. possibly u could do somthing like that, maby not a allignment but brakes are always needing maintanence, do a half day of brakes and a half day building a hotrod, do it out of your garage so there is no overhead, you might start out slow and the hotrod might not come till later but, u build up a customer base and you will get work to do.

Oh and that guy didn't use a allignment machine, he used the manual gauges.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

They say that losing your job is like a death in the family....it really does take its toll. The company I worked for closed down in March. I got a half decent severance package and found another job right away, but it still bothers me that it happened.

Good luck...you will find something.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

I think a lot of people have dealt with similar situations shaggy. I was working at a place for a little while and took a pretty low pay rate to just be working again and not be on unemployment. For as many years as I did that kind of work it was really low, and was probably more then $4 an hour less then the job I was laid off from. He would always send me home early and give us stupid work to do, even though I could do a lot of the stuff the others did there. I didn't have my license at the time and earlier in that week, I walked to lunch and walked back to the shop and after lunch he told us to go home, so I walked all the way home. The next day and being sent home early all that week, We finished up the truck we were working on and asked him what else had to be done and he really didn't say anything, so we start cleaning the booth, shop ect. Well another guy said he was told we could go home, and I caught a ride with him so I wouldn't spend another day walking. When I went in the next day, he sent me home and said he didn't have any work and he'll call when I should come in. I can only assume that day he didn't want us to go home early even though it was like the other days, and I worked hard when I was there. Good ridens, I was over qualified and under payed anyways, doing the same thing again now, Get to use more of my training and make better money, not as much as I should, but lot better then that place. You are still young. I think you will learn there is always going to be something that sucks about working for someone else. If you really enjoy doing the work, learn all you can while working for someone or just try things at home just to learn, take what additional training you can and maybe a few courses in business, its amazing how many won't help with more training, and its often too busy in a shop to teach a new guy how to do a lot of things. Even if you like your job, keep you eye out on what other opportunities are out there, and always look. Not too many companys that give a damn about their workers anymore, so why should you. Instead of going out a lot ( Not saying you do, but i know, a lot of people do when they are young, or have to spend money on the latest cd), put some of the money you would normally spend on stuff like that away. Then when you start learning more things, start doing some work on your own part time on the side or renting a shop. That way hopefully people will get to know you and the kind of work you do if you do decide you want to break out on your own, and there won't be as much risk. I don't know how many people I have read say as hard and tough business can be sometime, they would never want to go work for someone else again. If I could start over, I would do something like all I just rambled instead of still getting realitivley low pay most of my life and making wrong decisions partying, and getting in trouble and some big fines Look out for yourself, and relize there are some wierd people that run businesses, quite a few I've worked for I wondered how the heck they stay in business.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:55 AM

Thanks

I thank all of you for replying. I am going to use all of yall's advice. And thanks for the great advice. I really appreciate yall taking the time to help me out in a time when I need it.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.