is it just me???? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2001, 02:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hey,

I am 16 yrs old. I have been building my car since the end of 8th grade, and the one thign i hate the msot about thi sproject is dealign with teh idiots at local auto parts stores. I am a kid and they are all old people who seem liek teghy would ahve more experience than me, buit i go in there and tehy dont;l even knwo what a small block chevy is. I tried applying for a job at one place adn they woudlnt; hire me for some crappy reason. I swear i know more than all teh people in teh store put together msot of the time. The only place that really knwos anythign is a local performance and machine shop.

I think all of you guys who dont; liek service at hot rod shops and crap should start your own business. I woudl buy from you, and i think everyone else woudl as well.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2002, 08:47 PM

I weld & fabricate parts on cars for ab living.Typically the customer brings the car & parts he wants installed. The biggest prob I've had by far is lack of complete instuctions, then the runaround on the phone, wrong replacement instructions faxed back etc. I would highly recommend not receiving a product without complete legible instructions, treating the instructions as a vital part in themselves. The suppliers then recognize the importance of this item to the entire sale & tend to be more helpful. In some cases like power streering hoses there are shops that simply make these up while you wait, just bring in the old one, or any fittings with correct threads; often these hoses are even cheaper than premade ones, & ofcourse u don't have to worry about them not fitting, & get the exact length u desire. I'm not using much aftermarket on my own cars as I like using more modern used auto parts, cleaned up, as they r so readily available & easy to get parts for quickly anywhere. Well when your wheels are finished, it'll all be worth it.
Good luck ~~Metalman~~
35Hudson Cpe
34Chev 2drsdn
Old 01-02-2002, 03:02 AM

Sounds horrible, but it's good to know there are people out there with same problems. That's why I started my own street rod shop selling for every manufacturer. Our company is based on the idea of a pesonal one on one feel. We handle problems, acting as a liason between the cutomer and manufacturer. It has worked out well thus far, and I've gotton some good insight on which companies care and which one don't. I try and work with each one but some don't really care once the sale is made, and I will no longer use them, because I will eat the part instead of ME having an unhappy customer. We don't claim to know about everything, but we go out of our way to find out answers if we don't know. Street rod shops started out being a place where people could hang out and talk cars with knowledgeable people and make friends, which is the idea of our shop. If anyone has questions even if the parts were not bought from us feel free to email us at info@outlawrodparts.com. Hopefully people with bad experiences can be saved yet! Hot Rodding is supposed to be 90% fun and only 10% aggravating, not the other way around!

Keith
Old 01-02-2002, 02:39 PM

After reading the entries on this topic, I am going to give Yogi's a try. My recent bad experience was in dealing with Keene Bell (Buick V-6) trying to purchase a set of polished cast valve covers. Would not fit, casting marks, holes would not line up, etc. Returned them and got ones that were worse. I then asked them to hand pick me out a pair because it was a show vehicle. I still had to file out the holes, file off wide spots at the mating surface to avoid leaks, and part of the U channel where the gasket goes was simply missing. Some of their other products had lousy instructions, usually incomplete.
I'm wondering why some replys are hesitant to name names. I'm glad to name them. On another note, Loker, although a little pricey, seems to have quality with good instructions.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:31 PM

i restored a 67 malibu,and most of the parts suppliers were friendly and helpful,but,almost none of the bolt-on parts were bolt-on as most had to be modified in some fashion..am i too picky to want them to fit.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:54 PM

Red face

I have had the same problems that the rest of you have had. There are however companies that are very good about defective parts. I have had very good luck with SUMMIT and NORTHERN AUTO PARTS. Both were very good to deal with. Then again I have had very bad luck with others. I will never again buy a transmission (or anything for that matter)from T.C.I. They say they test each transmission, YEA RIGHT! The race powerglide I purchased didn't function correctly. When I had a local shop look at it , it was actually missing parts. This Tranny was in a dragster, Im glad I didn't make a full pass with it. TCI wouldn't even return a phone call! BUYER BEWARE!
Old 02-06-2002, 11:18 AM

Cool

I started a similar discussion on the RBBO club board a short time ago. I am building a 57 Chevy Station Wagon. After hearing all of your complaints I realy feel a lot better. I was dissatisfied with the side motor mount conversion kit that I got from Danchuk. The directions were horible and in my mind it did not place the motor far enough forward for the HEI to clear. I complained to Danchuk and they gave me the song and dance. "we sell 200 of these a year and you are the only one having problems". Had I known what a pain in the A** the mounts were going to be I would have made them myself and saved 40 of the 49 I spent and put it else where into the car.
I would like to boycot Danchuk but that would be like cuting off my nose to spite my face.

I am now planing to use as much junk yard stuff as I can get my hands on. It is inexpensive, plentiful and works. Besides the dirty hill billy at the bone yard is a lot nicer and more helpful than 80% of the order takers I have talked to. :p
Old 02-07-2002, 04:46 PM

Thumbs up

I'm with you guys. But I have a different perspective: I have been lulled into beleiving the suppliers' statements of compatability, fit etc. so many times and have been dissapointed so many times that I have taken the position that I will order only when I know I cannot fabricate or shouldn't because of safety concerns. So, my frame mounted brake and vacuum canister is from scratch as is my four link out back, I "C" sectioned the frame without after market brackets and I built my own accessory brackets to name a few. I guess you can't do this if you are in the business of building rods, but my enjoyment of this hobby is the satisfaction of the completed project and the journey. I feel that it give me more pride, the more I fabricate.

I also feel that some of the dealers are completely unrelaiable. I will never buy a damn thing from Southern Rods and Parts as a result of the $100 stinging I got from them and am glad to warn anyone who will listen that they deserve less, not more business.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.