Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Is it just me or is it gravity (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/just-me-gravity-78254.html)

61bone 01-08-2006 05:57 PM

Is it just me or is it gravity

Never had this happen before. Everything on my welding bench is now magnetized, appartently even the bench. Wasn't yesterday. Not all bad though, the grindings and filings make some neat patterns. Any ideas why and what I can do about it?

poncho62 01-08-2006 06:01 PM

Don't get a metal plate in your head.................... :D

Honestly don't know what would cause this. I have a metal bench that I have welded on for years, never magnatized.

matt167 01-08-2006 06:15 PM

take some welding scrap and stick it to the bottom of the bench, the scrap should take the magnatism, it does work.

lowROLLERchevy 01-08-2006 06:27 PM

ive heard that everything including trees get magnitized around UFO's .... did you have any little green men come check out your garage overnight?

61bone 01-08-2006 06:40 PM

Only Green man around here is me. Got the flu :)

powerrodsmike 01-08-2006 07:24 PM

don't set your 8 track tapes on it. It will erase them. I know that when I weld while my work area is in a big pile of filings and grinding dust the induction field around the ground lead makes the filings arrange themselves into really cool patterns. Just looking at them can keep me occupied for hours and hours and hours an................ :drool:

46chevyfleetline 01-08-2006 08:29 PM

Don't sit your butt on it with your wallet in your back pocket or you'll be replacing your debit and credit cards cause you just messed up the magnetic strip. Cheers!!!!

oldred 01-08-2006 09:37 PM

61, do you have your welding cable around the bench?

Rob Keller 01-08-2006 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
don't set your 8 track tapes on it. It will erase them. I know that when I weld while my work area is in a big pile of filings and grinding dust the induction field around the ground lead makes the filings arrange themselves into really cool patterns. Just looking at them can keep me occupied for hours and hours and hours an................ :drool:

I want what YOUR smoking :drool:

definitely see how your leads are around the table you should try using a old speaker magnet and rub it on the table to reduce the magnetism built up in the table I dunno this is a new one to me

see if this helps I couldn't get a short cut to the page sorry

SR66 :thumbup:

73oldsman 01-08-2006 10:09 PM

It's due to the hydomagnetic electrical impulses randomly transmitted and cross-transmitted through the pulse electrical energy emitted from the negative electrons colliding with the positive electrons in your welding cable, or something like that so I've been told. And yes, the '60's were good for me. ;)

powerrodsmike 01-08-2006 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=Rob Keller]I want what YOUR smoking :drool:

It should be YOU'RE. Like as in "you are", with an apostrophe in the place of the "a". "I want what you are smoking" :drool: . Sorry ,I couldn't resist. The smoke 's all gone. All I have left from those days is scorched lungs and some old Cheech and Chong records. I have always been easily amused. Momma said I was special. One time I had my wallet in my front pocket and BOTH welding leads were laying across my lap while I was welding. I had to get every atm and credit card that was in my pocket replaced. Come to think of it, my kids are kind of funny looking too. If you want to see some neat patterns take that old speaker magnet and rub it around on your TV screen. It will mess up the TV beyond repair but it sure makes some cool patterns before the screen goes away. Makes trails too. I think oldred pegged it with the wrapped lead thing. I gotta go fix my tinfoil pyramid hat now.

tenfords 01-08-2006 11:16 PM

tenfords

It must be very dry there and the use of electrical equipment would definitely charge nearby metal objects. I would try hitting the bench with a heavy hammer which should discharge the juice. But first try putting a cat on the bench for an interesting pic. Speaking of metal benches does anyone have the plans for a good one, say about 3 feet by 5 or 6 feet.,,, thx fast ed

Rob Keller 01-09-2006 12:07 AM

powerrodmike
:nono: bnice i cld b talkin lik this here n use ur instead of your or you're ifinthe spellchekr dont get'er tha F it!! :smash: u no wha Imeen? take atokeholdthesmokeblowyoufinmind :drunk: :thumbup:

speal u l8r

its 2 Am & no I dont smoke it no more got tired of waking up on the floor ..no thank you please it only make me sneeze and then i.....

powerrodsmike 01-09-2006 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Keller
powerrodmike
:nono: bnice i cld b talkin lik this here n use ur instead of your or you're ifinthe spellchekr dont get'er tha F it!! :smash: u no wha Imeen? take atokeholdthesmokeblowyoufinmind :drunk: :thumbup:

speal u l8r

its 2 Am & no I dont smoke it no more got tired of waking up on the floor ..no thank you please it only make me sneeze and then i.....

ya bdde eye gno whadda ya meen. ;) ur mkeg prphekt cince tu mee. c-kret k-oweds r finfun. :thumbup: Someone is gonna look at this and think it is a computer virus.I hope 61 puts the cat picture up soon I'm getting tired. I think I'll go home now.

jimfulco 01-09-2006 01:22 AM

That stuff's medicinal, right?:D