Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Just a questions, are OHC engines better in every sense than a pushrod moter?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2003, 08:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OHC engine can be spun faster with less valvefloat,they dont need as much spring pressure.They also give the builder more room for ports since you dont have pushrods in the way.A single overhead cam setup is good,but is limited because for the most part all the valve angles have to be the same,and canted valve heads are a little tricky.Dul overhead cams allow the valves to be placed across the bore the opposite way of most pushrod engines,which offers a better intake port design potential.Overhead cams lend themselves to variable cam timning setups,and dual overhead cams are the rwla way to make variable vavle timing work.I am not a big impor fan,but I think there is a lot to be had wit that Vtec stuff.On a pushrod V8,you can only gain a small amount by moving the entire cam a few degrees,but with dual cams{one for the intakes and one for the exhast}the potential is much greater since both lobes can be moved independently.Unfortatley,I am not a big EFI fan,and all the overhead cam stuff out there is centered around EFI stock applications,so it will be a while before I get my hands into one.