Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - just rebuilt 4L60e locks up stall engine when place in gear
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Trans locks up and stalls the engine on shift

To answer your replies, (thanks for them), I have not run the transmission except in park and neutral (truck has not left the shop).

It is possible of course. However, I did follow instructions and compared with pictures as I completed the process of installing the valves.

I found no signs of metal shavings in my fluid when I first drained and disassembled the transmission, so I completely drained (overnight) the converter, refilled and reinstalled. Attached it to the trans first, with everything spinning freely as far as I know.

During the tare down, I found two clutches at bare metal, a broken internal servo spring, a stuck valve (don't remember which one), but overall, the crud buildup was not bad, and as I mentioned, found no great signs of metal shavings, only the normal magnet accumulation.

Is there a possibility of the 2-4 band locking up (but I guess that would not effect shifting into reverse)? Just trying to think through the process, trying to recall the steps and maybe what I did wrong.

I would like to get as much info as possible before pulling the trans from the truck again.

thanks for your help.

teddybear