Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - just rebuilt 4L60e locks up stall engine when place in gear
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybeartruck
After filling the transmission, idling, checking and filling somemore (while in park) I finially placed it in reverse to start the process of working through the gears. It locked up and killed the engine. I've tried in neutral to drive, same thing.
What is the first thing I need to think about and research? Or what may be causing the problem?
My experience is more w/the TH350C, but the FIRST thing I would check is to see if the TCC solenoid ground supply circuit was shorted between the PCM and the solenoid, or if the solenoid has failed internally. Then I'd check for the solenoid fluid exhaust passage being blocked off w/a piece of gasket or sealer, etc. You'll have to drain the pan and remove it.

You should check the TCC apply valve for being stuck in the "on" position- you did mention a sticky valve in the valve body...

The only other non TC thing I can come up w/is the torque converter clutch valve being stuck.

If this all gets you nowhere, then I'd be suspecting the TC.