Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - just rebuilt 4L60e locks up stall engine when place in gear
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 09:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Torque Converter binds when shifted - Problem Solved

Well guys, thanks again for the input. Getting enough to think about before tearing into the trans made a difference.
I first tested the wiring for shorts by checking each pin to ground the top of the plug is hard to get to, even with the cab already jacked up. I tested each pin by feel. Later, with the pan off, confirmed that the one pin showing a short was indeed the ground wire OK.
By the way, on these trucks especially, 94 S10 4wd, it is a good idea to install a drain plug while the pan is off. There are after market ones available; I made my own.
Someone suggested that the valve may have been put in backwards. This is a common mistake for newbies like myself. In fact, that was the problem. Looking at the diagram for the pump, of the two valves one is spring in first, the other is after the valve. Apparently, glancing down at the diagram I started on one and ended up on the other, thus reversing the valve and the spring.
I have put it all back together, run the truck for about 100 miles and everything feels great.
Thanks again for all the input.

Teddybear