Just sandblasted core support, now what primer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just sandblasted core support, now what primer?

I just had my core support, hood latch support and grill tray sandblasted. They used Black Beauty so the surfaces are a bit rough. I was going to go through and clean it up with acetone, then maybe sand it down. Not sure if this is necessary. I want to throw it in primer, but I can't find any epoxy primers locally and read in other forums that's the only way to do it right. NAPA is closed for the weekend, but I do have access to high-build and self-etching primers. Any advice on what to do? Thanks again for helping this beginner hot-rodder...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 02:23 PM

primer for coresupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroJoeG View Post
I just had my core support, hood latch support and grill tray sandblasted. They used Black Beauty so the surfaces are a bit rough. I was going to go through and clean it up with acetone, then maybe sand it down. Not sure if this is necessary. I want to throw it in primer, but I can't find any epoxy primers locally and read in other forums that's the only way to do it right. NAPA is closed for the weekend, but I do have access to high-build and self-etching primers. Any advice on what to do? Thanks again for helping this beginner hot-rodder...
The first step would be get is sanded smoothe, then self etching will give you better adhesion for the epoxy. If your parts are inside that will be ok until monday. epoxy should be the next step. this is how it works :
SELFETCHING primer etches into the metal and provides some corrosion protection and a good adhsive surphase for the epoxy.
EPOXY primer is a adhesion and corrosion primer good for a top color coat. Epoxy also helpe seal out moisture.
HIGH BUILD primer is a thicker primer that you can sand to block out body work to make perfectally streight (show car).
The Following User Says Thank You to BSR2342 For This Useful Post:
RetroJoeG (05-19-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

Ok, so just so I have this straight...You can put the self-etching on BEFORE the epoxy. The guys at the paint store told me the epoxy should go down first. However, since this had surface rust before blasting, I thought the self-etching would give it better protection as a base coat. Also, any opinions of the High Build Self-Etching? Can I use that instead of the self-etch?
Old 05-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Excuse me..Epoxy primer is direct to metal..use a good wax and grease remover and you are good to go...The blasting texture gives a great anchor pattern for the primer..2 wet coats of epoxy is what I use..I use the SPI and it is best to order that so you have it on hand..

Sam
RetroJoeG (05-19-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Ok, so just so I have this straight...You can put the self-etching on BEFORE the epoxy. The guys at the paint store told me the epoxy should go down first. However, since this had surface rust before blasting, I thought the self-etching would give it better protection as a base coat. Also, any opinions of the High Build Self-Etching? Can I use that instead of the self-etch?
Self etching is made for bare metal. It etches into the metal surphase and is the best foundatiom for the epoxy. That was the primary reason for plastic paint cups for your gun. Etching primer will even eat into the metal spray gun cup if you leave it in to long. What kind of primer do you have that is selfetching and high build all in one? Epoxy is a 2 part, primer with hardner, or also called activator. It will cure chemically not air dry. Self etch will not penetrate the epoxy, so on top of epoxy won't do you any good.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR2342 View Post
Self etching is made for bare metal. It etches into the metal surphase and is the best foundatiom for the epoxy. That was the primary reason for plastic paint cups for your gun. Etching primer will even eat into the metal spray gun cup if you leave it in to long. What kind of primer do you have that is selfetching and high build all in one? Epoxy is a 2 part, primer with hardner, or also called activator. It will cure chemically not air dry. Self etch will not penetrate the epoxy, so on top of epoxy won't do you any good.
The paint store said you can use epoxy primer on the bare metal. That is true. Epoxy is a adhesion promoter and a rust prohibitor. It won't etch into the metal. Being "EPOXY" it will cure and help seal out any moisture that will promote rust. You can color coat over epoxy after it flashes or up to a few hours. If it fully cures you must scuff it with a scuff pad equilavent to 320-400 grit sandpaper. A gray scuff pad works very well.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

If you have a good anchor pattern such as media blasting with BB gives, you do not need anything more than wax and grease remover and SPI epoxy. Put 3 full wet coats on with proper flash times and you will have a very tough durable finish.

Start messing around with acid products and you can quickly end up with a mess if not done correctly with the proper selection of products designed to be used in that application.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:55 PM
CQNRQY

Last photo:

Quote:
Id sand it smooth. make sure you stuff is clean and if you cant find epoxy primer and self etching primer is available spray it with self etching primer .it will seal your stuff so it doesn't bloom. Self etching primer is not required for body metal when sand blasted. The next step would be to epoxy or high build prime.
The Following User Says Thank You to CQNRQY For This Useful Post:
RetroJoeG (05-19-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
All epoxies are different so only go by the tech sheet of the epoxy you get. I'd recommend SPI. Epoxy is also meant to go on bare metal, protects better than etching, and in fact is not compatible with etching primer (in the case of SPI at least). You are not getting very good advice in this thread.

Going the SPI route for instance, if your support was blasted with black beauty, DA it down to 320 (so you don't have scratches show through the epoxy), clean with wax and grease remover, and shoot the bare metal with two coats epoxy. SPI also makes good wax and grease remover.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizer For This Useful Post:
RetroJoeG (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

So, what I am getting from this thread is epoxy is the preferred primer. Does self-etching not hold up as well? Just curious. Also, are the fumes from epoxy more dangerous than the ones from self-etching?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Epoxy is a superior coating..that core support can be shot in epoxy and set aside for a period of years with no rust or corrosion and if you use the black can just be bolted in go with it. Of course if you want it to be a different color just scuff it and shoot your color over it.

Sam
RetroJoeG (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
So, what I am getting from this thread is epoxy is the preferred primer. Does self-etching not hold up as well? Just curious. Also, are the fumes from epoxy more dangerous than the ones from self-etching?
they're both dangerous so neither should be breathed. Wear a cartridge respirator and you'll be fine. No, etching primer will not hold up anywhere nearly as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizer For This Useful Post:
RetroJoeG (05-19-2013)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.