Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Just a small clean up tip (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/just-small-clean-up-tip-52051.html)

cboy 11-16-2004 12:45 PM

Just a small clean up tip

I often run into situations where my hands get dirty or greasy out in the shop and then I need to handle something that I want to keep fairly clean...but I don't want to go to all the trouble of a full bore hand cleaning with soap and water and just wiping them on a rag or towel doesn't seem to do enough.

While cleaning out my wife's old car the other day I discovered a nearly full container of Wet Wipes which she had been carrying around for who-knows-what. Anyhow, I liberated them and quickly discovered they do a GREAT job for those quickie hand cleanups. They even cut grease fairly well.

OneMoreTime 11-16-2004 01:15 PM

Farmers trick

Bag Balm works great..before you start work put some of that on and the grease and dirt comes off alot easier..

OMT

Restore60s 11-16-2004 01:29 PM

Clean up

cboy, you liberated the Wet Wipes? Your a hero! Just don't ask for a purple heart or anything.

VWFan 11-16-2004 03:28 PM

Good tip cboy.

I use latex gloves when I work on my cars. They are cheap and to clean up, just take them off and throw away.

cboy 11-16-2004 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by VWFan

I use latex gloves when I work on my cars. They are cheap and to clean up, just take them off and throw away.

VW,

How do you keep from ripping them to shreds. I've tried them once or twice working on the car (I wear them all the time when I'm doing my other hobby - stained glass) but they had big holes and tears in them within 20-30 minutes.

VWFan 11-16-2004 05:01 PM

Well, I don't.... I usually get the kind from the medical supply stores (I don't recall the brand name) just cuz they are usually cheaper than the blue ones at the auto parts store and they are usually more durable too. I also make sure I don't get them to small. I don't have much of a problem with them tearing, but they do tear if you catch them on something, but then I just go grab another pair from the box!

OneMoreTime 11-16-2004 05:05 PM

Gee

I got a whole box of those gloves around here somewhere..might as well use em up..:smash: CRS...ARRRRgghhh

OMT

julmer 11-17-2004 12:22 AM

If you ever raised kids, you should know that Wet Wipes are as essential to the progress of civilization as duck tape. Don't leave home without them!

jimfulco 11-17-2004 01:43 AM

WD-40 & a somewhat clean terry towel does a pretty good quickie clean up.

Kevin45 11-17-2004 02:20 AM

Some places sell a container with hand cleaner in heavy duty paper towels. Quite a few of our departmens at shop use them. They will cut thru the worst of grease. I'll see if I can find the name. Here is a pic of what they are. 72 in a pack but around $13. Handy but rather costly also.

http://www.grainger.com/images/products/1CG47.JPG

poncho62 11-17-2004 03:30 AM

My work "donates" cotton gloves for me to take home. They took some getting used to, but I wear them for most things in my shop. They want me to have clean hands at work, so I guess a few pairs of gloves won't break them............lol

cboy 11-17-2004 07:13 AM

Kevin45,

Sounds like those "Scrubs" are sort of "Wet Wipes" on steroids. I was watching pretty closely yesterday as I was using the WWs and I do think there is soap or cleaner that emerges as you are rubbing. I thought they were just saturated with alcohol - but now I'm convinced there is actually a cleaning agent. The Scrubs look like bigger, stronger WWs with a heavy duty cleaner.

Now the Consumer Reports Dept. of HR.Com needs to run side-by-side tests of the two products to see which one gets our "Best Buy" award.

4 Jaw Chuck 11-18-2004 11:18 PM

The wet wipes with aloe work the best from my experience.

53fordguy 11-18-2004 11:27 PM

wipes never worked for me...

1 Attachment(s)
god my hands are so stained i cant even scrub them out i can go swin for hours and its still stained..... any suggestions? I had this stuff and damn i just put it on and it rubbed right off and my hands were never so clean.. but i could never find the same stuff again....

Heres my left hand.... this is days and days worth of stains and some metallic blue pearl paint from the shop today.....

poncho62 11-19-2004 04:32 AM

Bet your girlfriend appreciates those mitts....................