Just some friendly advice. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Just some friendly advice.

I swapped my 700r4 transmission for a TH350. When installing the transmission I ran into 2 mounting issues:
1. The mounting bracket would not line up with the hole in the crossmember
2. The bolts I was using to hook up the TC to the flexplate were HARD to turn

SOLUTIONS:
To fix the mounting problem, since the placement of the trans mount was different, I made a 6"x6" metal plate (1/4" thick) and drilled 4 holes in it. 2 holes for where it would mount on the bottom of the tranny and 2 holes for where it would mount on the actual mount itself, thus making this an offset mount. To mount it, I used the same bolts that came out of the 700r4 trans mount and just bought 2 new ones along with some locking washers and nuts. I installed the old bolts to mount the plate on the transmission and the new ones with the washers and nuts to mount the trans mount on the other end of the plate. After that, everything else mouted normal.

SECOND SOLUTION:
To fix the HARD to turn bolts, use standard thread rather than the metric thread. Make sure the bolts are short as well because the bolts that came out of the 700r4 were too long, thus causing a loud rattling at cold startup that would quiet down after about 1.5 minutes of idle. Come to find out, the bolts were tightening up but were not securing the TC to the flexplate causing the loud rattle. Just make sure you get some short bolts and you'll do fine.

HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE SWAPPING TRANSMISSIONS!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 02:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman87 View Post
I swapped my 700r4 transmission for a TH350. When installing the transmission I ran into 2 mounting issues:
1. The mounting bracket would not line up with the hole in the crossmember
2. The bolts I was using to hook up the TC to the flexplate were HARD to turn

SOLUTIONS:
... To mount it, I used the same bolts that came out of the 700r4 trans mount and ... I installed the old bolts to mount the plate on the transmission and ...

SECOND SOLUTION:
To fix the HARD to turn bolts, use standard thread rather than the metric thread. ...
(1) TH350 mount bolts through 1976 are AMERICAN threads. Bolts after 1976 are METRIC threads, the same as the TH700. If the TH350 case casting number starts with "6", it has AMERICAN bolts. If it starts with "8", it has METRIC bolts. The same rule applies to the speedo retaining bolt in the tail housing, unless someone had forced the wrong bolt into the hole previously.

(2) ALL TH350 converters with threaded pads through 1976 used AMERICAN bolts. SOME TH350 converters after 1976 used AMERICAN, and the rest used METRIC. TH350 converters using nuts and bolts to attach can be used either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
700r4, th350

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.