Just started my 406 chevy its my first rebuild! Insurance?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Just started my 406 chevy its my first rebuild! Insurance??

I live in Wayne County in Michigan (Near Detroit) and I haven't driven the truck yet, it has a roll bar, looks fast I can't fool State Farm and pretend it isn't a modified vehicle.... they don't insure what they call "race oriented" cars. I would like to have fire and theft insurance, will someone like Haggerty insure it for whatever I want and then charge me accordingly? Thanks in advance.
Eddie.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 09:17 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

yes. Agreed value of car. Pay in one lump sum, no monthly payments.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

You must prove you have regular insurance on a daily driver first....should not be a problem.

I know plenty of guys who have their hot rod daily drivers insured with State Farm... they don't qualify for a special policy because of the miles driven. Ask your agent... just because it's modified from stock doesn't mean it's "race oriented"....
Old 06-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I have my '68 Nova insured through State Farm, 10-point cage and 8-71 blower sticking up through the hood. When first insured it my agent had no problem, but when I had to send pictures, some goof ball on the east coast cancelled my policy. I went to my agent he reinstated it, no problem. I had been with them for over 20 years and not exactly a kid...on the outside.

I have my big block T-Bucket insured through Hagerty's, agreed value of $20k for $226 a year, after emailing pictures, they insured it the next day, no questions asked.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 06-25-2012, 04:40 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I don't understand the variety of rates through Haggerty Ins. I also have Haggerty on my Austin, with agreed value off $15k, nd they charge me $237 a year. I've got no tickets or accidents, and I'm nearly 62.
Wish someone at Haggerty would explain why they charge some less for higher coverage.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

I went around a few times with State Farm a few times myself..

I have used them for over thirty years Homeowners, Auto etc. Years of no problems. Over sixty years old and no tickets/points or major claims for over twenty five years.

Then about six years ago they sent me notice that they wouldn't continue coverage on several of my vehicles.. Some they insured over twenty years.

Various reasons, age of vehicles, modified vehicles, aftermkt installed non "approved" parts. Commercial vehicle being used for private use??

Complained to my State Farm agent and was told the states insured liability laws had changed. Called another agent and got a similar story.. They could write the policy. But as soon as corporate sees photos they would immediately cancel. No matter who or how long you have been with them..

I went to Haggerty and for less than State Farms one monthly premium. I got a year of full coverage on a vehicle from Haggerty.. Have had a few minor claims (towing, flat tires, etc) no problems, no hassel..
Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I don't understand the variety of rates through Haggerty Ins. I also have Haggerty on my Austin, with agreed value off $15k, nd they charge me $237 a year. I've got no tickets or accidents, and I'm nearly 62.
Wish someone at Haggerty would explain why they charge some less for higher coverage.
I wonder if it has anything to do with risk of theft? Maybe they know which cars get stolen more than others? Also where you live makes a difference. I've always heard that.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Localboy808
I wonder if it has anything to do with risk of theft? Maybe they know which cars get stolen more than others? Also where you live makes a difference. I've always heard that.
Not sure about the risk of getting stolen thing. Haggerty wont insure a car that's not garaged I don't think? If they do, then I could see the rate going up for a car that sat in the driveway, but mine's always garaged at night, and never out of my sight.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 PM

Thanking everyone for the input

I did get a low rate from Hagerty, but they want pics first. Unfortunately I did take the truck around the block and found that my trans needs a rebuild. Should have it back early this week. Thanks for the feedback!

Tags
auto insurance, hagerty

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.