Hot Rod Forum banner

Just starting my first project (48 Chevy Coupe)

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Glennk 
#1 ·
Someone did a terrible job of welding a camarro sub frame under this car. Is is possible to cut this off and replace with Mustang II. Or could I just have the welds repaired and boxed and rebuild the brakes and everything on the camarro clip?

#2 ·
With the original front frame rails missing it's going to be a job trying to mount a Mustang II IFS at this point. It would probably be more cost effective to have a certified welder correct the crappy welding and just rebuild the existing Camaro sub-frame. You'll probably need to order custom wheels with the correct offset to move the tires inside the fender wells since the Camaro sub-frame is a little too wide for your car. Nova would have been better but like I said you can over come this problem with the correct backspacing on your wheels.

#3 ·
ust starting my first project (48 Chevjy Coupe)

Thank you for your advice. I think that is what i will do. Currently the wheels are inside the fenders everything looks fine from outside. It drives with no shaking or wobbling, turns and stops fine, the welding just looks unsafe and not complete. I see holes and spaces around the frame where the two were joined.

#5 ·
first project

I went thru the same thing almost. Only I had to remove both the front and the rear. Its for sure that some people just shouldn't attempt to do some things that they know absolutely nothing about. Mine was so bad I couldn't save it and I am a certified welder. I just cut everything off and rebuilt it with 2x4 box tube and made all the suspension front and back..An awfull lot of work but for me it was worth it..As for you if you aren't a welder then what Centerline said to do would be the way to go...Good luck on your 48, they're a really neat car..Mine's a 46...If I can be of any help let me know...GlennK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.