Just Thinking - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just Thinking

yESTERDAY i WENT ON AND SOME DUDE WAS SAYING HE WAS OLD SCHOOL AND THAT HE WAS GONNA QUIT AND HE FIGURED HE WOULD BREAK ALL OF OUR HEARTS AND WE WOULD BEG HIM NOT TO LEAVE CAUSE WE WOULD PERISH WITHOUT HIM.wELL i DIDNT SLEEP LAST NIGHT,A COMMON OCCURANCE LATELY.i OFTEN RIDE THE KEY BOARD, DUE TO MY LACK OF SKILL.bUT I ASSURE ALL THAT THAT DOES NOT HINDER MY ABILITY AS A HOT RODDER.aND BY ALL MEANS FOR ALL THATS IN ME i CANNOT SEE HOW SOME ONE THIS GUYS AGE CAN EVEN USE OLD SCHOOL.i WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS OLD SCHOOL?hE IS A CHEVELLE DUDE.i SEEM TO REMEMBER THEM, BUT IS THAT NOT A PONY CSR OR SOMETING.,nOT TO PUT DOWN THESE AUTOS BUT....... i DO AND HAVE LIVED MY WHOLE LIFE ON BOTH COASTS AS A DRAG CUSTOM AND WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANNA GET INTO FROM CRAWLIN JUNKYARDS TO DRIVIN ALL i EVER HAD TO SACRIFICE FO THE SAKE OF SIMPLY BING A RODDER,bEFORE WE WERE CALLED hOT RODDERS,weLLi AM DONE.aNSWER THAT FOR OLD MOONTANKER, iF YOU ARE STILL HERE.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Personally, I don't like the terms "old school" or "back in the day". This is because what is "old school" for a thirty year old today is "new" to me and folks around my age and yours. To me, an old car has to be at least pre-1948 and even that is a stretch. As to the term "back in the day", that could be as little as yesterday or as far back as memory serves.

I still consider 1939 thru 1948 Ford coupes or convertibles as "Custom" cars if they have been modified. I also like the 1937 Chevrolet coupes. To me any manufacturer from 1949 thru about 1960 offered many unique styling changes and when modified are more "Custom Car" than "Hot Rod". One notable exception for me is a 1955 Chevy two door post car set up with a straight axle front end. Now that's a modern Hot Rod.

Not "old school". Not "traditional". Maybe "back in the day" for me but in reality I sure couldn't afford to build one in the mid to late '50's.

I have a similar concern when the term "traditonal" is used. Back in the 1950's a "traditional" Hot Rod on the East Coast was a fenderless channeled coupe or roadster. Many as much as 8" over the frame. At the same time a "traditional" Hot Rod on the West (Left) Coast was what is termed a Highboy. Still on top of the frame and often fenderless. Also mostly coupes and roadsters. A few two door sedans could be seen but NEVER a four door. In either case the Hot Rods were almost always Fords from 1915 thru about 1936. Any other manufacturer was hardly even considered. It was a rare occasion to see a Chevrolet or Dodge or Plymouth coupe or roadster being Hot Rodded. It was even more rare to see any make sedan used. Sedans and other manufacturers didn't show up as Hot Rods in any numbers until about the mid 1980's. To me that's new stuff.

I just like cars. Stock, modified, customized, hot rodded, restored, one of a kind custom built. I like them all for what each of them represents.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I agree with you, Frisco. I don't like many terms, rat rod, old skool, the old days, they are just too generic and open to many, many opinions, most interpretations seem to come from folks that twist the original meaning to use for themselves. I know who Moon is referring to, frankly I have no sympathy in this case. If he is that sensitive after many kind, wise comments to help him, he will continue to be hurt every time he posts. a wise man will learn from his short comings and mistakes, rather than take offense or make excuses. I have better things to do.

What can crack me up quickly is hearing some 10 year old kid say" Back in the old days when I was in kindergarten"...Got to love it. Life is too short to lose sleep over any and all comments made here, I just grin and go on.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:42 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Ok..Back in 1960 when I graduated from HS, knew all there was to know in the known world, I.......( fill it in) haha
Old 09-22-2011, 04:43 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

I don't know about the old school or back in the the day.

But I think one of the reasons I like the site so much is, at 42 years old im still not the old wise one here.

I get to hang out with the cool older kids, just like when I was in school!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

Hey I bet they let you hang out for a reason,I did it too but I cant remember back that far.I think I shall start a thread on hanging out in the day.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

I know what "back in the day" refers to because now that I'm 65 I can say that "back in the day" ....1958 I started going to Lions drag strip and saw all of the legends race and it was GREAT!! So as Matt puts it I guess I'm one of the "Cool older kids". Don't know about cool, just older.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned User

Last photo:

i don't care about "old school, new school," "traditional" etc.

The only thing that ticks me off about the car culture is that there is too much exclusivity going on. Snobbery, exclusion etc. "us vs. them." etc.

For example alot of the middle ager, muscle car types look down on anyone owning/modding a newer import such as a honda. When i see someone with an import i consider that person to be my brother in a way. Why? Because it's still a car and he's getting enjoyment from it. Yes, i often question some of their logic in vehicle choice, and apparent dubious mods, but then i think about the following:

Did you ever think that maybe he actually likes his car and that's why he has it?

Do you really think you are so much smarter and cooler than him? Instead of shunning, maybe you could learn a thing or two---such as fuel injection, suspension all of which could be applicable to your own car.
Alright, let's say he really doesn't know about those things and just puts stickers, wings, exhaust tips and loud stereo. What's the harm in that? And we all had to start somewhere. There's guys running domestics who have done that and are doing that.

The harley crowd especially: Why frown on a bike just because it wasn't made here (yes, i understand the economic implications of imports etc.)?

Why not have some originality, why ride what everyone else rides?

Last edited by against all odds; 09-25-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.