Just what is this cable for? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,191 Times in 1,050 Posts
Just what is this cable for?

I am thinking this cable on a headlamp of Acura MDX is so the light doesn't go flying in an accident. I am thinking during some crash tests the lights flew off the car and they are using these cables to stop it. It sure looks like an "afterbirth" to me!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Is it possible that it is for theft deterrent?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

I find it hard to believe Acura (Honda) could give a crap. Besides you have to pull the bumper off the car to get the light out without breaking the tabs off. The tabs (brackets) look weak and not like most other lights. I honestly think the lights go flying in an accident.

Brian
Old 04-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I think your right Martin, that looks like a retention strap in case of collision. Since the whole thing is made out of plastic and fairly heavy imagine the forces on them in a collision where the integrity of the front fascia is likely to be compromised. What do you want to bet someone was killed or injured by a flying headlight walking by on the sidewalk, hate to get hit with that thing flying at me at 40mph.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

I think it might be a ground wire for the HID lights.I think there is usually a warning label?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Nope, it isn't a ground cable, it is loose in the mounting.

On another site that I posted this on, someone posted this:
“To ensure a high degree of theft prevention, the HID headlights are attached to the unit body with multi-strand steel cables. Halogen fog lamps are also included as standard equipment on all MDX trim levels”

It can be found right here at the Honda website. And I still have a hard time believing it. You know "the floor mats are getting caught under the gas pedal" story.

But that is what I will go with, though it sounds laim as heck being I have never seen a headlamp stolen. I have seen tailgates taken, complete bumpers taken, instrument clusters taken, catalitic converters (MANY of these) taken by someone sliding under the car and cutting the pipe with a sawzall! But I have never, ever seen a headlamp taken.

So I have a hard time believing it. But maybe in some other part of the world it is common and they did something about it. Hmmmmmm. they don't want expensive parts stolen off their cars so the owners don't have to buy more, yeah, that's believable.

Brian
Old 04-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard, so they are expecting the Honda headlight thieves to be stupid enough to not go and buy some cable cutters?

Then I did a search and found out that Honda isn't the only mfg with a headlight theft problem...what is the world coming too?

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=h...0f19d309f278f5
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard, so they are expecting the Honda headlight thieves to be stupid enough to not go and buy some cable cutters?

Then I did a search and found out that Honda isn't the only mfg with a headlight theft problem...what is the world coming too?

]
That blows me away! A couple of hundred bucks for a headlight, go steal a few. Yes, what is the world coming to?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
That blows me away! A couple of hundred bucks for a headlight, go steal a few. Yes, what is the world coming to?
Absolutely unbelievable. Wonder how that cost to add to the car.

Cole
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Dan, how about $1500 for an HID headlamp! I have sold USED (slightly damaged) ones on ebay for $hundreds. I had a pair of them off a Lexus that I got almost $600!

The winner is a Mercedes CL63 that was $2900.

All that being said, I have never seen a headlamp stolen from a car, EVER. As I said, I have seen complete bumpers taken off cars while they are parked in a lot! I just had a Honda Accord that had the instrument cluster taken from it. That is all they took, just the instrument cluster.

I've seen cars where something like an alternator was taken from under the hood! The cat converters is the one that blows me away. You slide under a car with a rechargeable sawzall and cut the friggin exhaust pipe to get it. HOLY CRAP that takes some nuts. I have to assume someone is watching out for you, but that one blows me away, what guts these pieces of crap have.

But the lights, you need to open the hood on most cars to get to the bolts, so you still have to break into the car to pop the hood. Like I said, we do 100-150 cars a month at the shop where I work and I have never seen a headlamp stolen. And again, since when does the manufacturer care about something like that?

Over the years I have seen so many "placentas" that are added to the car after the initial design was done to correct some screw up that I thought it was a retention device to stop the light from flying off and hitting someone during an accident.

Brian
Old 04-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Someone stole the complete heater box assembly out of my nephews Corolla right in his driveway.

Chet
Old 04-24-2010, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

I called the tech who removed that light and told him what the Honda website said and he laughed and said "BS, Brian, I had to completely remove that bumper to get a couple of bolts out. The bumper stay had to be removed, after all that I simply had to unbolt that cable". Not only that but the cable is connected to the very strongest part of the light and bolted directly to the rad support. Anti theft is BS, it's a retention cable to keep it from flying thru the car it hits.

Brian
Old 04-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I agree its a retention device, but under lawyer advice it was likely simply renamed an antitheft device so it could be called a feature and not a bandaid fix.

I'm still blown away that headlight theft is a problem anywhere, pretty glad I live where its not an issue.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

probably has to do with theft more than anything. HID headlights are huge theft targets. If you wanted to keep a headlamp from flying away in a crash I would think you'd just secure it universally more securely in the mount rather than using a catch cable attached to one hardpoint to keep it from flying out of the car...

K
Old 04-24-2010, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
probably has to do with theft more than anything. HID headlights are huge theft targets. If you wanted to keep a headlamp from flying away in a crash I would think you'd just secure it universally more securely in the mount rather than using a catch cable attached to one hardpoint to keep it from flying out of the car...

K
If you saw how flimsy the brackets were on headlamps it would be much clearer to you. They snap off VERY easy. Some manufacturers offer a little bracket repair kit where you grind off the last little bit of the original bracket and you screw the replacement on. They only offer these brackets after there is some aftermarket competition for the part. Before there is any competition the light is available ONLY as an assy complete with ballast and they COMMONLY cost between $800 and $2000. So, if a simple 3/4 to an inch wide 1/16" thick plastic bracket gets broken off, you buy the whole light for a grand or so. Once there is aftermarket competition they will offer the brackets and the lense and housing without the ballast and lights. One of the light BULBS will often cost $3-4 hundred bucks!

With what the tech told me on how they were mounted and what I have seen in their DESIRE to sell parts, I don't believe they are for theft for a second.

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.