Hot Rod Forum banner

K&N Air Filter

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  wave1957 
#1 ·
What are your opinions on K&N filters? I have never used them but have heard both pros and cons.

#5 ·
My question would be, WHY would you want it on her Impala ?

Is it a race car ? Are you trying to gain HP or mileage or some other reason ?

I think that if it passes more air then it's either larger or it doesn't filter as well as a paper filter.

That's my 2 cents worth.

454 RATTLER

#9 ·
Why spend the high price the K & N filter cost. I see where it can save money by getting a cleaning kit to keep it clean. Like it has already been said do not use them on a vehicle with a mass air sensor. It will leave an oily residue on the sensor and then you will be buying a spray cleaner to clean the M.A.S. I would just buy a paper one and change it every 30,000 miles or if you live in a dirty,dusty region check it at every oil change. GM Fleet & Commercial does not recommend oil laminated or oil bathed, extended life filter replacements.

#10 ·
On a race car maybe, any kind of dirt sand car NO! Testing has shown they do flow more air and more dirt. Chances are your air filter is NOT the restriction holding your engine back.

In K&N's defense their testing has shown all the ruined MAF sensors where the customers fault over oiling them. How do you know if you over oiled our air filter? You ruin your MAF sensor. Ohh and if you do over oil them they flow worse than a paper filter.

#11 ·
Sorry to butt in, but after reading this post, I am truly thinking of removing my "K&N" from my mustang GT.. My question would be, do they make a paper replacement for "cald air intakes"? Mine is the 'cone' or cylinder shaped (for lack of a better word) with a 3-3.5" opening that hose clamps itself on the end of the cold air intake tube..Or should the entire system be removed and the o.e.m. air intake be re-installed?

Ponyboss

#13 ·
I currently have a K$N on my '31 - but only because I couldn't find a conventional one 4" high x 11" oval other then the usual 1-3/4 (nominally 2") high. They are too expensive for minimal gain especially after you add a cleaning 'kit'. I looked on and off during my car's winter downtime at about every manufacturer I could find for something other then a K$N - and if someone has a manufacturer and part number for a 4x11 oval, I would probably take it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.