Keep it or ditch it?!?! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2002, 09:44 AM
At a loss for words

Wiki Edits: 0

Angry Keep it or ditch it?!?!

Okay guys, since the weather has been so nice lately (high 30's/low 40's and no snow ) I'm getting pretty serious in my planning stage. I basically would like to use most of the stock parts except for the carb, intake, water pump, and maybe cam. Would it be worth my time and effort to use the original radiator for my 440? It's out of a Chrysler New Yorker. I'm thinking it's a pretty big radiator (the car is HUGE !) but that could just be my mind playing tricks on me!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2002, 02:18 PM

Based on the price of aftermarket radiators...my opinion is that you would be money ahead to have yours refurbished by a radiator shop and it should be good as new. Also, aftermarket radiators that are supposed to be "direct replacements" often are not based on my experience. so any way you look at it you're probably going to have some fabricating to do for mounts, hopefully minor in nature. One thing to watch out for...it happened to me...I bought a big block shroud for my 454 and upon installation found that the fan blades were contacting the upper part of the shroud. I almost launched into remounting the whole radiator upward to fix this when I discovered that the front clip (69 impala)was sagging down about 1/2 inch (not visibly noticeable), which caused the shroud to not be centered on the fan. A couple of jacks and socket wrenches was all it took to do the clip adjustment, and a side benefit was that my door to fender clearances got better too in the process. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:59 PM

Zach have you made up your mind what you are going to put the 440 in yet.That will help you make up your mind what you can use off that very large donor car. I would get rid of none of the Chrysler untill you finish your project. ROY
Old 02-15-2002, 05:10 AM
At a loss for words

I haven't really made my mind up yet. My first pick would have to be a Cuda, but I'd basically look at Coronet R/T's, Chargers, Challengers, GTX's, and RoadRunners. I'm probably forgetting some because the Chrysler Corp. made a whole mess of great cars! My donor New Yorker is complete except for the battery, air cleaner cover, sheet metal that the rust ate, and the keys ( ).
Old 02-15-2002, 05:08 PM

Seems to me you should be more concerned about getting the "Car" first. That radiator probably won't fit in it anyway, so don't get too excited about it right now. The Jefferson swapmeet is coming up April 27-28 so start saving your pennies. Finding a proper big block 68-74 radiator isn't too hard in southern WI. I had a shop in Sun Prairie recore my '37 Plymouth 440/727 runs ice cold on the interstate. Have you looked at the prices lately on the 68-74 Mopars? not cheap. You may want to consider something a little older if cash is a problem.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.