Hot Rod Forum banner

keep loosing the same wheel

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ericnova72 
#1 ·
Ok so I am having a problem I have a 2nd gen cummins 2500&belt broke in my 33s so I installed some aluminum devino 22s with 37.13.50 tires.I lost a wheel the 1st nite after 1/4 mile maybe driverside wheel.Then 2 days ago I lost same wheel.
******** This time broke some of the new lugs/studs.Now these wheels were on a duramax before. But these trucks share the same bolt pattern.My factory lugnutd wouldnt fit down in the hole so I had to get these acorn style ones, the tapper seems small but all 3 other wheels lugnuts are on so tight it takes a breaker bar to loosen em.
******** The lug* holes on the back of the wheel looks kinda wollowed out.What can I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please forgive my lack* of punctuation and such and using voice to text as I am dealing with a sick babies.

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Some 8 lug truck wheels are lug centric and some are hub centric. I have a GMC, which use to be the same pattern as Ford in the 8 lug wheels, but I have been told that newer Ford SuperDuty trucks now use hub centric wheels. One type will not readily swap to the other and still fit correctly.

In the old days my alloy wheels had lug nuts with a flat bottom and a washer under the seat area, and the lug nut body stuck out and extended straight down slightly into the hole in the wheel. The lug nut extension self centered into the hole, and the washer kept the steel nut from binding on the alloy wheel.

Wheels I bought more recently for my Mustang used a tapered seat that was hardened. This provided both centering and protection for the wheel.

The point is that the lug nuts have to be designed to work with the wheel.

Bruce

#12 ·
this is what I don't get everyone says that it's the lug nuts and let the front wheel the fell off is fine that I just need to change the lug nuts ok. well I've drove about 700 miles now with the 37s on the back with the same lug nuts and they have not fell off what could this mean?

#13 ·
Cornering forces on the front wheels during turns put a lot more strain on lug studs and nuts on the front than on the back. This is why the incorrect nuts on the rear may stay tight longer, but they still aren't correct, and could decide to wiggle loose at any time. Best to get the correct nuts on there before something bad really happens, like a lost wheel causing an accident and someone getting hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.