Keep My 69-Z Clone Or Buy An Original 72-Z - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 03:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Keep My 69-Z Clone Or Buy An Original 72-Z

Hey guys you may have noticed that I started a new thread because I had more detail that I wanted to add about this situation.

Anyway here it goes. I currently have restored to pristine condition a 1969 camaro into a Z-28 clone. It's a perfect Black with the white stripe car. Even down to the correct placement of the stripes. Anything that was a coupe is no longer. A replica 327 with 283 crank and everything else to make the 302. Rebuilt Muncie 4-speed, Disk brakes, multi leaf springs, 3:73 rear. The car has been completely rebuilt and is perfect and runs flawless. Most of it was done with original GM parts that I have acquired over the years even GM trim pieces. It was dynoed at 420 HP. Everything is new. If I wanted I could change the cowl tag and no one would know the difference. I wouldn't do that because it's not right. But I just wanted to give you the high lights for comparison sake.

However I have an affliction for the second generation Camaros and would love to get a complete numbers matching Z-28 of that generation(no clones this time).

I travel through many small towns in the mid west and on a recent trip found an all original matching numbers 1972 RS/Z-28 in a little town off the beaton path. It is a great driver quality car. It has never been restored but painted 10 years ago with one rear quarter replaced. The under carriage is good and has no rusting on the frame rails or else ware. There are two 2" in diameter holes in the inner wheel wells of the rear quarters where the water tends to splash. But not too bad. It has some small typical bubbling from a 10 year old paint job. But from 10' away it looks pretty good.

It has 65,000 original miles, original LT1 (which hasn't been rebuilt) and an original rock-crusher 4 speed, 3:73 rear, wheels, etc. He is the original owner and I saw it in the back of his fix-it shop, it wasn't for sale. I asked if he wanted to sell it. He said "sonny anything is for sale". One of these old codger types. He said he would take $10,000 and I got him to $8,900.00 with new tires installed. It appears to be a good solid car something I could drive for fun for 5 years or so and then restore it. I verified all the numbers and it is a numbers matching car. He also has some of the original paperwork. I asked if It would make it to the east coast and he said "hell yea I would bet my life on it"

I know everyone is telling me why give up the blond for the brunette? Or how about "what are you stupid" Why give up my car that is done and perfect for a car that I will need to restore down the road. Part of it is the fact that it is something new and I am looking for a new project, etc. The thrill of the hunt. I would buy both if I could keep'em but I can't financially. I know I can get 20K plus for my car that's no problem and I could use the difference to begin the restoration plus some house stuff if you know what I mean.

I know most of you have been in the same situation at some point and I am looking for the pro's and con's. Am I stupid for wanting to get rid of my 69? Let me know you thoughts I would really appreciate it.

Dave

Sorry for being so long but I wanted you to have all of the facts. A friend put a post about this but left out a lot of the facts. So I figured I would do it so you would have all of the information.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

The 69 will always be a clone, so sell it and get the real one.

One other warning, you mentioned a data tag change, I'm sure in a joking way.

Well leave it to attorneys to smell money, we now have a couple specializing in fraud cars. The old saying there are more Z28's and big block vettes for sale at any given time than was made. This is gotten to be big business.

Build sheets are very easy to get so a person would have no defense at all.

The settlement costs seem to go as: Refund car purchase and lose car and the attorney is not going to let you off without paying his fees over the next 15 years with interest as in the example case.

I would have a signed statement from who you sell the clone to, that he knows its a clone.

Won't be long and they will be advertising in Hemmings.

Last edited by BarryK; 06-06-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Keep the '69, I like the '70-'73's as well but a "Skunk" striped '69 Z/28 is THE Camaro as far as I'm concerned even if it is a clone.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Second generations are cool but will never be as cool as a '69 in my book. Plus too many split-bumpers second gens running around anyways.

Mike
Old 06-07-2005, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
Keep the '69, I like the '70-'73's as well but a "Skunk" striped '69 Z/28 is THE Camaro as far as I'm concerned even if it is a clone.
I agree 100%. One of my all time favorite cars.
But your the one who will be driving it and looking at it everyday so if you can I would suggest getting the Camaro that you like better.

Dave
Old 06-07-2005, 06:03 AM

Last photo:

Drop $100 on the 72 with a written agreement the seller will hold the car for a month, he isn't advertising it now so I don't see this as being a problem. If he does advertise it or spark some interest in another potential buyer the car will be gone for that price guaranteed- get some money down on it or it will be gone, happened to me a few times overnight. List your 69 on ebay as accurately and honestly as you can, good photos and answer any questions. A few of the 67, 68, 69 camaros I've painted for local customers have sold in the high 20's on ebay and none of them were original Z cars, I think if your car is nice you'll be surprised at what it brings.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

I Am Interested

Hello,

I have been in the same boat it sucks.

Anyway if you are considering selling your 69 I would be interested if no else in the group has inquired. You car sounds like it was done right and is turn key which is what I have been looking for. Please shoot me an e-mail if your interested. BTW which state do you live?

I think either way you go it will be a good decision because in the end you will still have a Z. I'm not just saying that because I am interested in your car either. lol.

Thanks
Jim
Old 06-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Last photo:

Keep the 69, I agree as far as Camaro's go the 67, 68 and 69 are the Camaro's of choice. Even a 69 Z/.28 clone IMO is more desirable than a second generation Z/28. Just don't try and pass it off as original.

Vince
Old 06-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

yep, keep your first gen. Better looking car anyway.

K

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.