Keeping Chrome Headers from Blueing/tarnishing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Triple G

Wiki Edits: 0

Keeping Chrome Headers from Blueing/tarnishing

Please forgive me, I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I'm new to the forum, so here goes.
I have a '23 Model T Roadster (T-Bucket) which I recentlt bought. It has "Total Performance" Sprint Car Style Chrome Headers on it. (Chevy 350 Small Block) When I purchased the car, the headers had blued pretty badly up close to the motor and were tarnished towards the outside bends. I purchased "Blue Away" and was able to polish/scratch most of the blue/tarnish out of the headers, however minor scratching did result. I was able to polish most of this out using Wenol polish. I also purchased "Flitz Header Polish" from Total Performance (save your money) it's nothing more than Flitz Polish that you can buy cheaper from many other sources.

My question is ... after polishing these chrome headers, is there anything that you can do to keep them polished and prevent or delay the continued blueing or tarnishing? Everytime I drive the car, the discolorzation keeps coming back and it seems like a never ending problem to shine them back up... HELP!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Last photo:

I fought this pboblem for a few years on sport motorcycles (crotch rockets). Finally someone came out with a header that has an internal short pipe about 8" long right at the header flange. This keeps the outer pipe from blueing. Another possibility is that your mixture may be too lean or your timing may be off.

Vince
Old 08-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Left Front Fender
Last photo:

This may be an old wive's tale. I have never tried it, so proceed at your own risk. I was always told that if you bought spray lithium grease and sprayed that into each tube at the head flange, it would stop the bluing if you started the engine up and shut it off just as soon as the headers got hot.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

To reduce the amount of bluing and yellowing on chrome exhaust; tune and time the engine with a different set of headers before installing the chrome ones. Incorrect air/fuel mix and incorrect timing will cause an overheating inside the chrome headers and cause them to discolor almost immediately. Have you ever seen your headers glow cherry red when first setting the timing and having it retarded too much?

A method that will also almost eliminate any discoloring of the chrome is to have the plater NOT apply the copper plating. Have them use just the nickel and chrome. It is the copper plating that causes most of the discoloration. The difference in the finished appearance of the polished chrome will not be very different than if the copper had been applied. Unfortunately most folks are buying off the shelf chromed headers and don't have this option.

The dual (inner and outer) pipe headers that are used on many motorcycles today will keep the chrome from discoloring best. I don't know of any manufacturers of this style header for auto use.

Blue Away and lots of elbow grease seem to be the option for most that choose to use chrome headers.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Nope - doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
This may be an old wive's tale. I have never tried it, so proceed at your own risk. I was always told that if you bought spray lithium grease and sprayed that into each tube at the head flange, it would stop the bluing if you started the engine up and shut it off just as soon as the headers got hot.
When I bought my headers from TP, Mickey Lauria said coat 'em with grease/ oil before firing. It worked for about a week then they started turning blue. These were Sanderson sprint style headers - supposed to be "the best". Mind you that the ignition and carb were right before these were installed - had a junker set on the car for initial tune.

The final fix, after cleaning them for a couple of years was to get them Jet-Hot coated in their Stirling color. This, along with having the intake Jet - Hot coated actually reduced the engine operating temp by 5 - 10 degrees - plus, they ALWAYS looked good, better than the chrome ever looked. Plus were easy to clean if they got road dirt dirty. The intake never had black drool marks from a leaky carb afterwards either
Old 08-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Triple G

Keeping Chrome Headers from Bluing/Tarnishing

Irelands child & Others,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions, etc. I'm going to check the fuel mixture and timing, etc. As far as using another set of headers first, that won't work. Number 1, I don't own a set and Number 2, the TP Headers on the car right now have been on it since she was built in 2002. (They've already been broken in) Please forgive me, but what is "Jet-Hot" coating in their Stirling color? Also, seeing how these have been used, would it do any good to have them re-plated not using the copper plating as Frisco suggests and if so, where would one go to have this done? What about the cost? Thanks, Grant
Old 08-29-2006, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beam6325
Irelands child & Others,

Thanks, Grant
Grant - This is the site for Jet-Hot (http://www.jet-hot.com/)
The Stirling color is near chrome - actually looks more like polished aluminum. I don't recall the price, but if you give them a call they will send you a quote and a short tape describing the material. The material is a ceramic heat resistant material, similar to what electric power turbine manufacturers use to protect hot section parts. Attached is a photo of the engine in my current project - these headers and the intake are Jet-Hot coated. The T bucket also had the headers and intake coated as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	14463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bucket23.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	14464  
Old 08-29-2006, 08:14 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Here's a couple more shots of Jet-Hot coating (Stirling) on the headers from my '32. Total cost was $315 including my shipping costs.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=cboy]Here's a couple more shots of Jet-Hot coating (Stirling) on the headers from my '32. Total cost was $315 including my shipping costs.

They look great - why anyone wants a chrome exhaust on a driver amazes me, especially after having this stuff

If I recall correctly, Jet-Hot charge ~$50 for chrome removal over and above just sand blasting and coating. Chrome becomes a hazardous substance. Not sure if yours originally were chrome with your costs reflecting that, but still well worth the cost as maintenance is very much reduced and life extended. Exhaust pipes run $15 - 17/foot as of a couple of months ago.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Grant - This is the site for Jet-Hot (http://www.jet-hot.com/)
The Stirling color is near chrome - actually looks more like polished aluminum.
For the record:

If the timing and/or air/fuel ratio is incorrect even exhaust with this coating will change color. They don't turn blue or yellowish, but get a dull finish that will not polish out. I have first hand knowledge of this from when I first fired up the engine in the truck in my avatar. The timing was retarded and I was about ten minutes into the cam break-in when I noticed the headers cherry red at the collectors. The bad part about this is that I knew better. Messed up the coating on the headers due to my own action. The dull finish was on all of the headers and not just in the area that got cherry red.

I have lake style headers on my current project with the ceramic coating, but I will be using a different set of plain steel headers for the cam break-in and initial tuning this time.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
I fought this pboblem for a few years on sport motorcycles (crotch rockets). Finally someone came out with a header that has an internal short pipe about 8" long right at the header flange. This keeps the outer pipe from blueing. Another possibility is that your mixture may be too lean or your timing may be off.

Vince
I have the blueing problem on my 23 t bucket,who makes the double piped header, thanks, my name is Rod and you can reach me at RReitz9417@aol.com
Old 06-11-2009, 02:13 PM

chrome headers

Just wanted to know what company makes doubles piped headers so they dont blue.I have a 23 t bucket which I have to polish the pipes everyother time I take it out thanks you can reach me at RReitz9417@aol.com thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

I don't know of any Co.'s that make the double wall headers. I'm sure some would custom make a set for you but, the price would be very high.
The Ceramic coated headers do require a breakin method, several short warm/heat cycles to prevent them from fading & peeling. After that the finish lasts a long time.
And never use them to break in an engine.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I heard from an old motorcycle guy in my area that a well greased rag run through the headers before they are used will create a coating on the inside that once they get hot the first time turns to like a coal coke and provides some insulation against blueing. I have no first hand experience but this gentleman was well respected.

Chet
Old 06-12-2009, 08:07 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RReitz9417
I have the blueing problem on my 23 t bucket,who makes the double piped header, thanks, my name is Rod and you can reach me at RReitz9417@aol.com
RReitz, nothing to do with your question but you may want to use the edit function to remove your email addresses from these two posts. Spammers use special software to comb through discussion boards like this and harvest email addys. As a safer alternative, you can put your email address in you profile information and then click on the button allowing people to email you directly. You can do that using the "User CP" link near the top right of this page. Or better yet, just tell people to PM you, and then they can send you a private message right here on the board.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.