Keeping The Work Aligned? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Keeping The Work Aligned?

It's not really been a problem to me until I get to corners and round areas. I've read in other places that a lot of people staple the work together in order to keep it aligned and to get an idea of how it will look. I also saw this on a Youtube video as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

As a novice, I used staples to hold almost everything together while sewing my sedan delivery interior. I figured if temporary pins were good enough for my grandma when she sewed up her own dresses, then temporary staples were just fine by me. Here's a shot showing the technique on a gentle curved section. For tight corners the staples need to be much closer together. But even then, great care must be taken so the material does not slip, move or get bunched up.

You'll need a very stout stapler, since you'll often be attaching multiple layers including sew foam. In some areas you'll be able to simply cut the end material off along with the staples once things are sewn up. But be aware that in many places you'll need to remove all those staples by hand. So it can be a time consuming PITA.

I'm doing my boat interior over this winter and I'll be using the staple technique on that as well. And just a bit of a side note, there are a number of panels on the boat that simply pull the material over a piece of plywood backer board and staple to the back. In this case the staples are obviously left in place. So to prevent rusting and corrosion, stainless steel staples are used. Same would be true in a car, I believe, if the staples must be left in for some reason.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coodeville
It's not really been a problem to me until I get to corners and round areas. I've read in other places that a lot of people staple the work together in order to keep it aligned and to get an idea of how it will look. I also saw this on a Youtube video as well.
I guess I don't understand why you are having a problem. You have your sewing machine geared down so that it barely moves, so you should be able to concentrate on the fabric and not on the sewing machine. Can you take a picture of an area that gave you problems?
You can staple or pin your work together if you want to, but holding the two pieces together with mechanical fasteners does not allow the fabric (one layer against the other) to move slightly which will create bunch ups in some areas.

No experienced sewer uses things like that. It takes more time stapling and removing staples than it's worth. FWIW, you should never leave the staples in place, they should all be removed. I learned to sew in a factory setting, and I can assure you that nothing was ever stapled together there.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Here is about the tightest radius that you will find doing a seat cover. This is an arm cover for a piece of furniture, but the concept is the same.

You always sew the smaller more curved part to the larger straight part, not vice versa. If you notice, my fingers are real close to the needle, which will keep the two pieces in line as they are sewed together. The closer you an keep your fingers to the needle the better. When you get past the curved sections, you can move your fingers farther away. You can also see that my seam allowance is 1/2" and I was able to maintain that all the way around. Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0905.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	51413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	51414   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	51415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0902.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	51416  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

I also use staples on long curved seams to make sure the ends line up. it is a pita removing staples but I use a small screwdriver and a thumb protector to pry them out.
terry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.